exterior screws for cedar
I'm with MM - use stainless fasteners.  My house is sided with cedar and fastened with stainless ring shank nails.  I can throw a rock from my front porch into the ocean.  Those nails have been here for 20 years and haven't bled yet. If you value your time and don't want them to rust, spend a few extra dollars on stainless screws.

Another option would be to paint the chair.  I made a couple psuedo-Morris chairs from common lumber and plain steel screws.  They sit out on the deck year-round.  They were painted a bilious green and they haven't rusted either - much.

Phil
Thanks for the info, I already purchased the stainless steel screws.

Jay
(06-16-2019, 09:33 AM)cme4dk Wrote: I am building an Adirondack bench and all the wood is cut and I am ready to put it together.  I went to the store to buy screws and realized that most of the exterior screws can stain cedar wood.  I believe that the stainless steel screws will work but they are quite expensive.  I am looking at the Power Pro premium exterior wood screws and the Grip Rite Plus coating exterior screws.  

Has anybody used these before for cedar wood? 

thanks

Jay

I am in the process of making 2 more Adirondack chairs (NYWS). Norm used construction adhesive in his build and so shall I. I will be using premium deck screws.

I am reusing the cedar from a wooden playground set as the seat/back slats, cypress for the rest and will plug the screw holes. Each chair will have 10 stainless carriage bolts.
WoodTinker
I'd pay the $$ and use stainless. Then you KNOW the limiting factor is the life of the wood, and you won't have rust stains after a few years. 

Zinc plated is a "sacrificial" covering. Basically the zinc gets eaten away by the environment and saves the steel from rusting. Works good, until you use up all the zinc. Then "rust never sleeps".