Arbor for a Grizzly table saw
(06-19-2019, 06:24 AM)Phil Thien Wrote: Have you checked eBay?

Also, there are some right tilt Unisaw arbors on eBay, could one of these be adapted?

That's an interesting question.  Since that vintage Griz was basically a Unisaw knock-off, it's possible the arbors can be used, or modified to be used.  Modified is easy if metal removal is all that's needed, and/or some spacers since the Griz machines wouldn't have used the 'felt seal' type bearings (with extended inner race), I wouldn't think.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(06-18-2019, 08:04 PM)tablesawtom Wrote: The bearing seized up and ruined the arbor under it.
The ruined journal could be turned down and sleeved then ground true again. This would be a fairly easy machine shop fix.
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
(06-19-2019, 07:12 AM)SceneryMaker Wrote: The ruined journal could be turned down and sleeved then ground true again.  This would be a fairly easy machine shop fix.

This is what is typically done all the time.

I just reverse the carriage travel and spindle for left threads- no difference than right hand threads.

I replaced a motor shaft by welding on a new oversized one and turning it down. 2 years now and the motor is still running a 5 ton blower.
 [Image: RoCQhWC.jpg]
[Image: v3EC16g.jpg]

It can be done.
(06-19-2019, 06:47 AM)TDKPE Wrote: That's an interesting question.  Since that vintage Griz was basically a Unisaw knock-off, it's possible the arbors can be used, or modified to be used.  Modified is easy if metal removal is all that's needed, and/or some spacers since the Griz machines wouldn't have used the 'felt seal' type bearings (with extended inner race), I wouldn't think.

Well I believe they both (1023 and Unisaw) use 6203 bearings on their arbors.

I'm not sure of those Unisaw arbors on eBay are OEM, or if someone else has started manufacturing them.  There were quite a few threads a few years ago of people complaining that the arbors were NLA.  I know at least one outfit started making aftermarket arbors, but this seems more like the new owners of Delta finally got around to it (and good for them!).

ANYWAY, I think I'd write some of the sellers on eBay and have them check the diameter of the shaft, and the critical lengths, and compare to the Grizzly I was holding in my hand.  It might be a match.

For that matter, I'd tell them I was trying to match-up to the NLA Grizzly so they'd know they can advertise the units as compatible with the Grizzly saw, they might sell even more of them.  Help everyone out.
First of all I am a job shop Tool and die Maker with 50 years in the trade. I also taught Tool and Die for 10 years at Hawkeye Community College. I also have journeyman papers as a Mold Maker. I am retired but I do work 7:00 to 12:00 Monday Wednesday and Friday at Machine tool and Engineering  in the next town over. And they let me use anything I want on my own time.

Yes I know that if it can be made once it can be made again. I know, I have been building dies, special machines, Jig And fixtures all my life. And to be able to make the spindles cost effectively with  a production operator would take special tooling. Not one at a time from a toolroom Machinist.

Yes I know how to cut a left handed thread, You have to turn the tool upside down and run the lathe backwards. If one is cutting a right hand thread when on gets the the end of the thread they can back the tool out using the cross slide screw, no big deal.  But to do it left handed one has to have the tool in position which is not easy and start the lathe with the half nut engaged and then advance the tool  into the cut while every thing is running and all because of a 3 inch shoulder but the shaft size is around 5/8 inch. Not only that but there is a 1/8 machined shoulder that the blade sets on and the only extra room is the thickness of the flange. that the nut has to thread up against. Yes, I probably can make one but I am also smart enough not to.

And to be truthful every small surface grinder I have ever run has a left handed nut on the spindle except for the Brown and Sharp grinder we have at the shop which is right handed and the wheel doesn't loosen up even against the spindle rotation so the nut cold be right handed and if tightened down won't come loose. IF it is a right hand thread to do the job the tool goes in upside down and on the back side of the shaft and run ithe lathe backwards, one gets a right hand thread. Better yet find someone with a CNC lathe then the threading is  done in a caned cycle and the Z is controlled numerically. then the shoulder is not a problem.

But you have to be able to start the thread and the safest way is to cut a groove which would weaken the part. Yes I can turn it down and sleeve it but there are threads on the end of the shaft that the major diameter are all but the same size as the shaft, If I cut down the shaft fare enough to recut the threads I will not have enough of the original shaft left.

I showed my problem to my working supervisor and the first words out of his mouth was If I still had my metal spraying equipment it would be a no brainer.  We also discussed cutting a groove and putting in a split sleeve. Then he said he has been told to get a metal spraying equipment for the shop by the owner on a couple different occasions so I will wait and see how that comes out.

And now for the good stuff, it is not my saw arbor I am just trying to help out a friend. I was hoping someone might have an idea of where I can get on and I am thankful for the idea of possibly using a delta shaft. I will check that out. 

The machine shop where I work part time is a CNC production shop and I am either going have to  find a shop that does metal spraying or wait for the shop to get one if a Delta spindle won't work.

Since some like to post pictures showing  their skills I thought I would post some of my builds to verify ability and that I do know what I also am talking about. 

The first machine was built from a picture in a magazine.

The next two are pictures of a router lift before there was router lifts. Built in 1988

The next two are pictures are of a  table of from a band saw converted into a router table. 

And the last is a picture of a small delta drill press with the head turned upside down and with linkage making it into an oscillating spindle sander. A month latter Ryobi came out with a spindle sander that a small shop could afford.

And the last one is of a Delta shaper soon to also be made into a router table.  I guess if one is going to have a true cast iron table one doesn't need the lift plate. It is faster and easier to fit the lift components to the top than to make the components also.

Which is why I would rather buy and replace an arbor than build one. Which brings us back to if they discontinue a machine in 2016 and there are no parts for repair in 2019 why should I consider buying another machine from them to loose another $2,000 three years later. I say that because their cheapest starts at about $1500 plus shipping.
Hadn't done it in a while. I misspoke on one thing. I turn left threads with chuck traveling normally, I just reverse the compound angle and reverse the carriage travel and feed left to right.

I don't have a video of this myself, but it's Like this;

I'm good at thinking backwards- so the wife says.
 The advantage is you don't need to worry about the end of cut.
Did you try looking for Steel City or any of the other saws that come out of Asia? As I understand the manufacturing over there, the saw is basically the same across several resellers and they are all made in the same place. Some minor details like paint and badges are altered to create the brand identity. Grizzly does not sell that saw anymore but someone else might.
From looking at the pictures of previous work did you ever consider starting from scratch?
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Tom, I see pink stickers on a lot of stuff on the tables. You buying or selling?
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020