Spalted flame box elder
MM

Where do you buy that awesome wood or is it found wood??
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(06-21-2019, 09:27 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: MM

Where do you buy that awesome wood or is it found wood??
Yes.   "Found" on my woodpile, which now means I'm paying $90/cord delivered.  I spent my time in the woods, now I'd rather buy from someone more automated!  I'll set aside a couple of likely sticks to see what develops.  In this case, my luck was good.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
When I first started turning, a number of the pro turners who came through our local club mentioned that they had spent time in the ER or hospital with fungal pneumonia after turnind wood with active spalting. Some people claim that that is just a coincidence.

I recommend good dust control when turning or sanding green spalted woods. Also, be sure that you or someone can tell the docs in the ER about the spalt exposure if you have to go there with respiratory problems. Reportedly, testing for fungal pneumonia s not part of the standard set of initial tests otherwise.

When it is time to sand, the spalted area disappears MUCH faster than the regular wood: sometimes even if you saturate it with thin CA glue. BTDT
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Michael Mouse. You are correct. We have always called it flame box elder even though that is not correct. I am trying to post a picture.Hopefully it works. Might become a shallow bowl or platter. Depends on what I decide as I turn it. Spalting does not show up in the picture, but it is tere. I have fairly good dust collection when I sand, but will wear a respirator from now on when sanding spalt.

Attached Files Image(s)