I'm Curious about these Gouges
I am looking a this pic but I don't recall ever seeing a set without handles.

Is anyone familiar with the maker or provide any other info?

Thanks
Mark

Attached Files Image(s)

Tongue 
Those are odd.  I thought at first about Warren Tool gouges (their website), but the shanks seem way too short.  Maybe some other company's attempt at interchangeable tools for a single handle.[url=https://warrencutlery.com/][/url]
Those were made for the patternmaking trade. Probably Freeman or Kindt-Collins handled them. I have a handle and a straight blade. Either I could sell you them or you could sell me yours.
(06-20-2019, 03:48 PM)castguy2003 Wrote: Those were made for the patternmaking trade. Probably Freeman or Kindt-Collins handled them. I have a handle and a straight blade. Either I could sell you them or you could sell me yours.

Thanks cast guy,

These are not mine. I'm going to a sale tomorrow and these will be for sale. Just curious.

I am not a carver but they interested me.

Are they good tools? Worth having?

Mark
Yes, they are good. Not on a par with high end carving tools but worth about $25-40 without handles.
like many woodturners today, I imagine that back in the days when pattern makers were common, a good many of them would prefer to save a few bucks on the tools and make their own handles that fit their particular style of work.

Pretty cool find!
You are frequently puzzled by things you tell us you fully understand. - Bob10 to EH 9/22/16

Too much has been made out of my mostly idle comments  - Cletus 12/9/15

You sound like one of those survivalist, hoarder, tin foil hat, militia, clinger, wackjobs.  - Fear Monger 1/30/13
Those shanks seem so short...I'd worry about them coming out of the handles if any grunt was applied to the work.
(06-20-2019, 04:29 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: Those shanks seem so short...I'd worry about them coming out of the handles if any grunt was applied to the work.

The handle is a taper fit. Lock in quite nicely
(06-20-2019, 05:02 PM)castguy2003 Wrote: The handle is a taper fit. Lock in quite nicely

Pass unless you are pattern making. Depending on what you want to carve, the tools you need are fairly specific. And those aren't them!
(06-20-2019, 10:53 AM)sawnuts Wrote: I am looking a this pic but I don't recall ever seeing a set without handles.

Is anyone familiar with the maker or provide any other info?

Thanks
Mark
So Mark, Did you get the chisels?