Brazilian Rosewood
I have several boards of Brazilian rosewood (dalbergia nigra) that I am interested in selling. I have no clue what to price it at, however. The boards are just over 1/2" thick x 6" wide x 5-7' long. Can anyone give me an idea what might be a fair price point? Thanks.
Where are you? might be folks nearby interested that could drop by and deal directly.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
(06-21-2019, 11:32 AM)Wild Turkey Wrote: Where are you?  might be folks nearby interested that could drop by and deal directly.

I am in the Chattanooga, TN area.
You have any shorts of that stuff? I am just starting a restoration project on a late 1800s Davenport Captains desk. I'm needing to turn some replacement knobs as well as lots of veneer replacement. Please PM me. I live in way-upstate NY (e.g., Canadian suberbs) so shipping 6-7ft is problematic. Any of it kinda curly?

Jim
Train to be miserable...
that way when the real misery starts you won't notice.
https://www.google.com/search?q=brazilia...0&bih=1297
Semper fi,
Brad

(06-21-2019, 12:56 PM)jppierson Wrote: You have any shorts of that stuff?  I am just starting a restoration project on a late 1800s Davenport Captains desk.  I'm needing to turn some replacement knobs as well as lots of veneer replacement.  Please PM me.  I live in way-upstate NY (e.g., Canadian suberbs) so shipping 6-7ft is problematic.  Any of it kinda curly?

Jim

Nope. Sorry, Jim.
(06-21-2019, 11:15 AM)bluesmanmatt Wrote: I have several boards of Brazilian rosewood (dalbergia nigra) that I am interested in selling. I have no clue what to price it at, however. The boards are just over 1/2" thick x 6" wide x 5-7' long. Can anyone give me an idea what might be a fair price point? Thanks.
Lots of completed sales on ebay..should give some idea of the value.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Be careful where and how you sell it.  BR is on the CITES list as forbidden for sale unless you can prove it was harvested prior to a certain date.  Instrument quality BR sells for astronomical prices because it's highly prized as a tonewood for guitars.  The demise of BR was mostly driven by furniture demand - mostly from China.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(06-21-2019, 03:11 PM)AHill Wrote: Be careful where and how you sell it.  BR is on the CITES list as forbidden for sale unless you can prove it was harvested prior to a certain date.  Instrument quality BR sells for astronomical prices because it's highly prized as a tonewood for guitars.  The demise of BR was mostly driven by furniture demand - mostly from China.

That applies only to international sales. All non-commercial sales intranationally are permitted with no paperwork required.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
(06-21-2019, 12:56 PM)jppierson Wrote: You have any shorts of that stuff?  I am just starting a restoration project on a late 1800s Davenport Captains desk.  I'm needing to turn some replacement knobs as well as lots of veneer replacement.  Please PM me.  I live in way-upstate NY (e.g., Canadian suberbs) so shipping 6-7ft is problematic.  Any of it kinda curly?

Jim

B&B Rare Woods still has a decent stock of the veneer. It's the narrow stuff now. When they first got part of the old Thomasville stock some years ago there was some great pieces to be had. I've got veneer with no sapwood 17" wide and 8' long. Cost a pretty penny, but that stuff doesn't come on the market often. Still have no project in mind for the stuff but you know the Krenov rule.

I think I have a couple short turning squares I got from Berea Hardwoods years ago. 1.5 x 6 IIRC. I can check and see if you are interested.
Cellulose runs through my veins!