Bandsaw quick release tension device
I've been thinking about getting a  device to quickly release the tension on my older Delta 14" bandsaw.  I've seen the ones that are basically a longer tension screw, and it's not what I want.  Carter makes one Carter Products QR1000 Quick Release Band Saw Blade Tension Toggle that seems like the most common for sale.

If you use one, what do you use, if you have this one, do you like it?  

Let's not debate whether you need to release the tension.  I manually release mine now and it takes too much time and effort-lazy I know!

Most comments welcome.
(06-25-2019, 02:48 PM)toolmiser Wrote: I've been thinking about getting a  device to quickly release the tension on my older Delta 14" bandsaw.  I've seen the ones that are basically a longer tension screw, and it's not what I want.  Carter makes one Carter Products QR1000 Quick Release Band Saw Blade Tension Toggle that seems like the most common for sale.

Let's not debate whether you need to release the tension.  I manually release mine now and it takes too much time and effort-lazy I know!

Most comments welcome.
You sure do flatter those who might want to help with that final sentence. 

https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/Band...-Duty.aspx
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Carter is the only mfg. that makes these (that I'm aware of and I've looked pretty hard). They're about the same price no matter where you buy them ~$150+/-. I don't own one so I can't say how well they work, but I have a spinny reel 'quick' release and it is just OK. I can see wanting to upgrade to the quick release, so I say get one. I'm pretty confident it will do what you want, and it's not like there is another option so the price is the price. If it's worth $150 to you then get it. I keep thinking I'll upgrade my bandsaw at some point and don't want to throw $150 at my current saw, but I've been saying this for 10 years now.
(06-25-2019, 02:48 PM)toolmiser Wrote: I have one on a 14" rockwell/delta and the only issue is that I sometimes forget to release it.  I would get there spring upgrade if I was doing it again.
On mine - maybe all had to drill and tap the arm to install.
Bob

I've been thinking about getting a  device to quickly release the tension on my older Delta 14" bandsaw.  I've seen the ones that are basically a longer tension screw, and it's not what I want.  Carter makes one Carter Products QR1000 Quick Release Band Saw Blade Tension Toggle that seems like the most common for sale.

Most comments welcome.
I picked up a used saw several years ago that came with a factory quick tension release, and I really like it.

I have seen several saws on local sale sights recently, and haven’t wanted to even think about another saw unless it has the quick release.
Of course when you factor the $150 for a carter added to the cost of a used saw, they look a lot less attractive.

I said all that to say this, you may have better luck looking local for a used saw with quick release and selling your current saw.

I’d really like to have a quick release for the jet 17” saw

Duke
(06-25-2019, 02:48 PM)toolmiser Wrote: I've been thinking about getting a  device to quickly release the tension on my older Delta 14" bandsaw.  I've seen the ones that are basically a longer tension screw, and it's not what I want.  Carter makes one Carter Products QR1000 Quick Release Band Saw Blade Tension Toggle that seems like the most common for sale.

Most comments welcome.

I made one out of a few pieces of wood for my 14" Delta.  It's not elegant but it works just fine, cost nothing, and took about an hour to make.  You still use the screw crank for setting the overall tension, initially, and then the quick release to load/unload the spring after that.  If you'd like I can take some photos and dimensions and post them. 

John
Mine came standard on my General International and I always use it.It is available as an add on at Lee Valley.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
I installed a Carter quick release many years ago on my Delta 14" bandsaw. This bandsaw is one of the most used tools in my shop. I cannot remember if there was any difficulty in installing it. I probably would remember if it was difficult. I do remember it being a hard decision to buy it due to the expense. It works exactly as advertised and has given no trouble over the years. I would do it over again today knowing what i know now.

The one thing you will have to do is figure out a way to remember to raise the lever and tension the blade before turning the machine on. I cannot imagine it does the drive wheel any good to spin against a loose blade. I got in the habit of unplugging the saw and hanging the cord on the Carter release lever.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
(06-26-2019, 06:47 AM)KyleD Wrote: .....................................
The one thing you will have to do is figure out a way to remember to raise the lever and tension the blade before turning the machine on. I cannot imagine it does the drive wheel any good to spin against a loose blade. I got in the habit of unplugging the saw and hanging the cord on the Carter release lever.

That's what I've started doing with my Rikon with the quick release. I don't think I've turned it on without tensioning the blade, unlike before I started hanging the power cord on the tensioning handle. I didn't scare myself powering up a loose band but it didn't seem like a great idea either.
(06-26-2019, 06:47 AM)KyleD Wrote:  

I took a business card, and wrote in red magic maker "tension blade" on the back, then taped a small magnet to the front.  When the tension is released,  I stick the card to the blade right above the table, and when I tension it,  I stick the card to the tension arm.  This has worked 100% so far.   I used a super magnet, though it is the smallest they make, so it is easy to stick to the blade, and easy to remove.