Question on assembly of KenCraft ductwork
I have all the ductwork from KenCraft for a new woodshop dust collection system.  The long sweep elbows aren't crimped.  I assume I need to crimp one end so that the crimped end is always on the downstream side of each piece.  I am surprised they don't come pre-crimped.  They are pretty heavy gauge material - I think 24 gauge. I'm shopping for some crimping pliers.  Any advice on 1) whether I do need to crimp one end of each elbow, and 2) if so, what's a good pair of reasonably priced 5-blade crimping pliers?
(06-26-2019, 09:30 AM)tedrussell Wrote: I have all the ductwork from KenCraft for a new woodshop dust collection system.  The long sweep elbows aren't crimped.  I assume I need to crimp one end so that the crimped end is always on the downstream side of each piece.  I am surprised they don't come pre-crimped.  They are pretty heavy gauge material - I think 24 gauge. I'm shopping for some crimping pliers.  Any advice on 1) whether I do need to crimp one end of each elbow, and 2) if so, what's a good pair of reasonably priced 5-blade crimping pliers?

you want the crimps to go with the flow of air.  so that they don't trap debris as the air flows past.  

I just picked up a pair at home depot and they've worked fine.  course I was only crimping regular HVAC stuff.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

I have a cheap pair from one of the box stores. They work well enough on 26 gauge, but for what you're doing I think you might wind a higher quality pair. If I was buying again, I'd get this pair, USA made and toggle action. If you buy a good pair and then decide to sell, e bay would probably get you 1/2 your money back....Heck, even S&S below might get you that much.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
What fredhargis said. I have a pair that I've used for years, and they're excellent. I got them at Home Depot. Fairly cheap too as I recall.
Thanks for the help.  I got a pair for $26 at F.W. Webb, and a guy there with 40 years of ductwork experience said they are good for ducting as heavy as 20 gauge.  They work great.
I believe mine are Weiss. They work well.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.