Leonard Bailey patents
I want to do a basic presentation on bench planes for my scrollsaw club, sometime in the next couple months.  Part of the presentation will be some brief history of the cast iron plane and the relationship between Stanley Rule & Level and Leonard Bailey.

I know that Bailey had the patent for the depth adjusting mechanism that was so popular and still used on some planes today.  I also understand that he patented  the thin iron/chip breaker combo.  Were there other patents of his used in the common Bailey Patent planes?  I've seen references to the lateral adjustment lever and/or the lever cap being Bailey patents as well, but couldn't confirm that.

Any additional info you can provide is much appreciated.

Thanks.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

For starters, take a look at Patrick Leach's site, "The Superior Works" (or is it Blood and Gore?).
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Leonard Bailey came out with the scraper plane in 1855 that Stanley started production of in 1858. Stanley called them a # 12 slightly later.
I don't have the information handy but it is all online. Bailey and Stanley had a very difficult relationship involving a lot of lawsuits and make ups. Bailey was made many promises that were not acted upon. Very interesting history. A short summary,

5. Who is "Bailey"?  The Bailey Patent Design
=============================================

The standard pattern of bench plane that we all take for granted was
invented by a man named Leonard Bailey.  Bailey invented three major parts
of this design: the moveable frog (the wedge shaped iron support on which
the plane blade rests), the lever cap iron securing system, and the depth
adjustment wheel and yoke system.  Later the improvement of the lateral
adjustment lever was added.  The Stanley company saw the potential success
of Bailey's design and bought the patents from him.  To honor the dude of
whom they quickly tired (there were several patent lawsuits between them),
they cast and engraved his name all over their planes for some years.  This
is why many of the Stanley planes have "Bailey" cast into them.  The
earliest ones also have it engraved in the chip breaker and adjustment wheel
as well.
http://www.grandpastreasureschest.com/

The older I get the better I once was
(06-29-2019, 04:24 PM)sarir Wrote: I don't have the information handy but it is all online. Bailey and Stanley had a very difficult relationship involving a lot of lawsuits and make ups. Bailey was made many promises that were not acted upon. Very interesting history. A short summary,

5. Who is "Bailey"?  The Bailey Patent Design
=============================================

The standard pattern of bench plane that we all take for granted was
invented by a man named Leonard Bailey.  Bailey invented three major parts
of this design: the moveable frog (the wedge shaped iron support on which
the plane blade rests), the lever cap iron securing system, and the depth
adjustment wheel and yoke system.  Later the improvement of the lateral
adjustment lever was added.  The Stanley company saw the potential success
of Bailey's design and bought the patents from him.  To honor the dude of
whom they quickly tired (there were several patent lawsuits between them),
they cast and engraved his name all over their planes for some years.  This
is why many of the Stanley planes have "Bailey" cast into them.  The
earliest ones also have it engraved in the chip breaker and adjustment wheel
as well.

That's part of my problem.  Some sites attribute one feature, such as the lever cap, while another might attribute other features, without mentioning the lever cap.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

(06-30-2019, 09:52 AM)Bill Wilson Wrote: That's part of my problem.  Some sites attribute one feature, such as the lever cap, while another might attribute other features, without mentioning the lever cap.

This might be the complete list of his 30 patents--not including the later ones in the printing industry. You'll have to click on the individual patent numbers for details.

http://www.datamp.org/patents/search/xre...p?id=11766
(06-28-2019, 03:23 PM)Bill Wilson Wrote: I want to do a basic presentation on bench planes for my scrollsaw club, sometime in the next couple months.  Part of the presentation will be some brief history of the cast iron plane and the relationship between Stanley Rule & Level and Leonard Bailey.

I know that Bailey had the patent for the depth adjusting mechanism that was so popular and still used on some planes today.  I also understand that he patented  the thin iron/chip breaker combo.  Were there other patents of his used in the common Bailey Patent planes?  I've seen references to the lateral adjustment lever and/or the lever cap being Bailey patents as well, but couldn't confirm that.

Any additional info you can provide is much appreciated.

Thanks.

The Midwest Tool Collectors Association ran a number of articles on Leonard Bailey in their Gristmill publication. If you are a member of the MWTCA, consider contacting Don Bosse or Paul van Pernis for more information.
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com