Cheapest shop to build?
I saw an article in a mag about "dream shops" that I have kept in mind. They built the shop as part of the house, but gave it its own HVAC using a mini-split to keep the dust out, had a set of double doors leading into the house that could be locked plus exterior doors to get materials inside. Had windows, etc so if/when they sold it could be converted to another purpose (gym, theater room, sun room, etc). If/when we build for retirement that's what I am going to look at doing.
(06-28-2019, 05:56 PM)ajkoontz Wrote: Don't have any suggestions about your shop, but speaking as a landlord here what jumped out at me was that you are concerned about a renter breaking into your (potential) basement shop. IMO having your shop in a detached building is no theft deterrent. If someone wants to take your stuff, they're going to take your stuff (or even just poke around to be nosy). I'm only pointing this out to suggest you think long and hard about whether it is worth it to you to be a landlord. If you're going to be worried about theft (and a million other things that can/ will go wrong) while you're travelling it's not going to be any fun. I'm not suggesting your idea is bad or that you shouldn't do it, I'm just saying being a landlord isn't all it's cracked up to be sometimes. I've been pretty lucky with my long-term tenants and don't know what the vacation rental market is like, just suggesting that you go into this with your eyes wide open.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Would definitely think twice about renting out my own home to short-term residents. It's difficult enough being a landlord over "regular" tenants (BTDT), let alone short-time folks in my personal home - YMMV.

Doug
A pole barn is going to be the cheapest way if you don't want to build it yourself.  They are not allowed in our subdivision so I ended up building a stand alone garage.
Telling a man he has too many tools,
is like telling a woman she has too many shoes.
I have no idea...….BUT...….sure do miss your kayak builds.

Are you retiring completely or cutting back and down sizing?  Either way I enjoyed your work and think I learned some things along the way.  Thank you for your part in making this a great forum.

I have one other question, did you finish the restoration of the Chris Craft?
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
One thing to consider is heat or AC.  Up north it was better to go with 2 x 6 studs and R19 insulation.  If you can afford it, foamed-in insulation would be even better.  Higher initial costs, lower containing expense.