Wood floor layout
(06-30-2019, 09:51 AM)fixtureman Wrote: I would run everything left right The hall way will blend right in

(07-01-2019, 12:01 PM)DieselDennis Wrote: +1

+1 more. That is how my house is done.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who can read binary code and those who can't.

"To be against hunting, fishing and trapping you have to be spiritually stupid." Ted Nugent
Run it perpendicular to floor joists.
(07-01-2019, 08:46 PM)WoodworkerTom Wrote: Run it perpendicular to floor joists.

I generally do that and will for at east the bulk of this install. Not for strength but it just happens that it worked out that way. 3/4" T&G plywood subfloor should be plenty strong enough... one would think. The joists are engineered I-Beams.... Bouncy imho but stable. I hope this takes a little bounce out of it. The existing flooring is cheap, thin bamboo floating floor. Can't stand it. It reminds me of walking through a mobile home.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

I have seen installers say that running it all the same direction avoids having it look funny. They also suggest using the same material.  I have this same problem, but I'm currently planning on using large format tile.  OTOH, in my entry it will look fine, so it's just a short section of hallway between the entry and kitchen.
If you want to minimize the bounce, glue and nail the flooring down should stiffen it up a bit. I had 15' jatoba flooring and astheticaly looked better running length of room even thought it would be parallel with the joists. Flooring guys used lot of adhesive and nails to secure. Never had an issue with movement and looks great. Going on 5 years since install.
(07-02-2019, 07:36 AM)EricU Wrote: I have seen installers say that running it all the same direction avoids having it look funny. They also suggest using the same material.  I have this same problem, but I'm currently planning on using large format tile.  OTOH, in my entry it will look fine, so it's just a short section of hallway between the entry and kitchen.
The original plan was to tile the entry. But we've spent a ton on this house in 3 years and we just decided to bump out a new family room. So wood is faster and cheaper and it looks fine. I'm also tired of doing tile work... real tired. We have real sandy soil here and a lot of trees. Very little grass grew in the shaded yard when we made the original plan for tile. We've taken out a lot of trees and have lawn growing now so the sand isn't getting getting in the house anymore. So we don't really need the tile there and I'm thrilled.

I won't be gluing the floor. It should be allowed to move a little.

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

I'd run it all left/right. Changing the direction for the hall just won't look "normal". It will also make the hall look narrower and longer. It's more area where the flooring nailer won't fit next to a wall too.
That's also quite a distance to keep straight and in line. I would start somewhere near the middle of the house (with a spline to fit facing grooves) and work outwards.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
When the Hickory flooring was installed in my house, it was put in across the entryway like you propose and inline with the rest of the house.  Looks fine.
chris
You can run it the way I like or the way you like it. Who is actually going to see it?

Please the wife, and good will be life.
(07-13-2019, 12:06 PM)daddo Wrote: You can run it the way I like or the way you like it. Who is actually going to see it?

Please the wife, and good will be life.

"We" decided to run it all the same direction, from left to right. For a couple reasons, most of them are listed above. Less exposed nails in the hallway, I'll be able to start it on the front wall of the house and work back towards the kitchen. Most of the odd cuts will be in the kitchen and at the bay window, under the fridge and dishwasher. It will be easier to finish off with the odd cuts at the end as opposed to at the beginning.

On a side note: I ordered floor from Lowes 12 days ago. Supposed to ship in 10 days or less. Got a call on day 10 and it's no longer available.. it was a stupid low price, something like $3.39 a sq/ft for 3-1/4" wide natural oak. It was too good to be true. It's still advertised on their site and the samples are still in the store. They offered a discount for whatever we wanted to order, that was nice. Wound up opening a contractor account at HD which gives me a 5% discount on"most items" at HD. Anybody can open a contractor account at HD. I'm not a contractor.

We found a 5" plank that my wife liked. Finding something she likes is not easy. We went to a darker floor and the wider plank. 5" looks better imho but can be trickier getting warped boards to lay right but it should still look better. After the 5% discount, it really wasn't much more expensive than the original order from Lowes. I've had more than one issue ordering through Lowes.

... Kizar Sosay