A new Desk for me
Still have a Hutch to build to house the computer in....Single Brain Cell Sketch Up is now working it's way through some sort of plan....need a better home for this thing..
Rolleyes  

Somewhere near this spot....
Winkgrin 

This is the old hutch....Monitor also needs to be raised up a few inches, rather than just sit on my nice, new, shiny desk's top
Rolleyes 

have an external hard drive to also find a spot to call home, instead of sitting on a lamp's base.   may also see about a new lighting system...

Stay tuned...
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
That is looking great.
Ok..."Moose & Squirrel" have delivered a Plan..
Winkgrin

For the Hutch.    Top will be a 1 x 8, with a bit of Live Edge
Cool 

Rest of the lumber supply is 4/4 x 6 x 6' 

Will clean up a few edges...otherwise will just be used..maybe use some stopped dados?

need to get a better cut list, too
Rolleyes

Yep, that is it, so far....need lengths of the shelves...and decide on the "cubbies"    Live edge will be facing down....so it won't become a trap for dust bunnies...

might take a few days...we'll see...and, make sure Boris and Natasha don't steal the Plan...
Winkgrin
That looks pretty good Rocky. What is Bullwinkle doing?
Big Grin
Been cutting parts...
Winkgrin Top has been trimmed to length, the non-live edge been jointed

Bark removed with a wide chisel, cleaned up with a spokeshave...
Winkgrin

Then the live edge was rounded over with a spokeshave..

As there wasn't enough wood on the edge to guide a router bit.   Front corners got a rounding, to match the top of the desk...

Vintage saw?
Winkgrin then set the hutch's top over, out of the way...
Cool

Which left getting 4 uprights 18-3/4" long, out of a 6' length of 4/4 Ash....
Rolleyes

3 out of 4?  Hauled a second plank to the shop...4th upright was cut, along with 2 shelves.   All the uprights needed jointed, then ripped so the edges were parallel.   Cupping was removed...

then a smooth plane, and then a sander.   Shelves were ripped to match.  Set the uprights on the top, to get the spacings and shelf lengths just right

9" for the tower's shelf, 23" for the monitor shelf, will sit in 1/2" x 1/2" dados....between the bad sections in plank #2 ( knots) an upright, and these two shelves...ran out of wood....had to dig through all the cut-offs, to find enough for the 4 cubby shelves..
Cool 

need to getting the spacing for 4 shelves into 18" of uprights.   Will be using stopped dados....had to dig out a decent router and bit..
Uhoh

DeWalt #610 ( yard sale find, a few years ago..$5) and a 1/2" shanked, 1/2" straight cutter...2 flutes.   need to set up a guide, and a stop, and see how deep some dados need to be...
stay tuned...
Ok, used the router to cut a few stopped dados..
Rolleyes

needed elbow room.  a way to hold parts and the router guide still long enough to lay out a cut..

And, make the cuts..

Once a board was done with the router, I could then square the end of the dado..

Some of the uprights only get one dado, while the one next to it gets 2, and offset at that..
Rolleyes  

Might be a tad too thin, otherwise?  Other uprights got a bunch  of dados..
Winkgrin

Then matching tenons were milled....was going along nicely   until
Upset

i discovered these 4 shelves were too short....trashed these, re-cut 4 new ones...only to find out they were 1/4" too long
No Recut the tenon, then the tenon was 1/16 too long...FINALLY..
Rolleyes 

It fits...was able to do a full dry fit, with a few clamps..
Uhoh  

Will have to glue this up in sections.  
Stay tuned
Winkgrin
dry fits became glue-ups...first a rebate was milled in the back edges of the cubby hole uprights.   Then some glue and clamps..
Winkgrin 

Lots of clamps.   Found a piece of 5mm plywood about the right width...and cut it for length...then more glue, and some brass nails..
Cool 

Also helped square this thing up.  Nail off one edge, check for square, nail off the other edge, then a single nail into each shelf...

Since I had a few "extra clamps"
Rolleyes  Decided to glue in the tower's shelf...
Cool

Just the shelf...2 clamps for that.   The other 3 were used to pull things into the top shelf, and square up the tower shelf...

Intend to go back drill and counter sink for brass  #8 x 1" brass screws..two per glue joint.  I just don't trust glue into end grain joints.  Then see about how to glue and clamp the entire hutch together....May need a few extra hands to help?    may involve sitting the top on the tablesaw's top, and work from each end?

Monitor shelf should be
Uhoh just a slip fit...then a pair of clamps....cussing will be involved, too
Upset 
Bought the screws today, and a few brackets to attach the Hutch to the Desk...

Left knee got rehab today.....rather a bit sore to go to the shop...besides, it IS Monday..
No 
Stay tuned
Winkgrin
Screws installed ( only snapped one
Rolleyes )  Tablesaw was cleaned off, blade lowered...needed a place to do a glue up...sanded the sides of the cubby hole assembly...needed a hammer to adjust the fit, but...
Cool

4 clamps to hold it til the glue dries...screws?

16 of them....pilot hole, counter sink

Then drive the waxed screws home....ran yet another errand....
Uhoh
Came back home, added a few screws to the tower shelf assembly.   Sanded that smooth...got to looking at the Monitor shelf..."show edge" had a pair of big knots right on the edge.....re-cut the tenon enough, I could flip the shelf over...for a "good" edge to show...rotate the top shelf around, was a bit too heavy on one end, made clamping it down a bit tricky...then a forest of clamps happened
Winkgrin 

hammer again helped adjust for fit
Rolleyes 
Along with those Brass screws...bought a few brackets to install the Hutch onto the desk....2 kinds, actually
Cool

The "L" shaped ones go in back...one per upright.  The fancy ones go out front. and match others I already installed...
Cool

To attach the knee well onto the drawer unit of the desk....and onto the leg unit..

Black screws, or Brass ones?

They came with the black, may go a head and use them...

letting things dry a day, or so.    Knee went through Day #1 of PT/Therapy....may rest it up, too
Rolleyes 
Once all those clamps come back off, lots of sanding, add the screws in the top shelf's glue joints...and maybe a coat of stain...before the brackets go on?
Confused
Stay tuned...may need a bit of help getting this out of the shop...
Winkgrin
Wow, you are burning through this build. It is coming along nicely.

I’d volunteer to help get it out of your shop, but I suspect you don’t live in driving distance from my place.
Smile
Ok, one trip to the shop...Homework  for the knee was done, rewarded with a charlie horse...
Angry 
Clamps removed...
Winkgrin  

Then sanded where needed....drilled the top for 4 pairs of screws...had to actually SIT on the hutch, to drill and counter sink, then add the screws..
Rolleyes

Then sit this back up onto the tablesaw, and add a coat of stain to everything that will show..
Winkgrin  

Then stashed it where it will go, while the stain dries...

There will be a door....resaw a few parts, from scraps..
Cool

Push stick for shoving THIN parts through....then ran a few grooves, and a couple tenons...
Cool 

Then cut some fancy plywood to fit the frame, and a dry fit of the door..
Winkgrin  

Needs cleaned up, glued up, and a finish...
Cool

Brackets will wait a while,  once the stain is dry, I can add the Amber Shellac...maybe a second coat after that?
Almost moving day..was trying to get done by August 1st....
Confused
Gonna be close, stay tuned
Winkgrin