A new Desk for me
have stained and fitted both drawers...had an "issue"....raised panels stick  into the drawer opening just enough to catch....
Upset Had to plane the sides down a bit....made a lot of pine shavings...
Winkgrin

Weapon of choice?
Winkgrin

Old No. 14
Cool Finally both drawers seemed to fit...

Like the handles?
Confused

had to move things around, anyway....both to work on the drawer fittings, and cut more plywood...

At least for the other 2 main drawers...

May try to get those 2 assembled, tomorrow, IF it isn't too warm in the shop...
Skinny drawers...

I now have 2 blanks for the drawer fronts cut to size....

Even with a decent set-up on the saw, still needed a little fine tuning...

Just a bit off the top?  Will leave the fence in place, to get the rest of the skinny drawer parts made

Debating on which edge to use on the top of the desk's top.....Chamfer...round-over....small cove? 
Even with waiting until nightfall, shop was still a little too warm...or, maybe I am just working too hard..
Rolleyes 

Stay tuned ( anyone want to stop by and help out?)
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Shop is a tad toasty, cutting into my time down there...Bombed the spider "village" in the shop...then waited a while..
Uhoh 

Pilot holes drilled, and countersunk.  Starter bevels cut.   Spread some glue...add some screws....then some clamps (3) and checked for square...the screw the bottom to the back.....rinse and repeat...
Winkgrin

Drawers #3 and #4 are now in the clamps, waiting on glue to dry.....
Winkgrin 

Pulled out the Pine 1 x 3 x 4'....ran it through the saw at 2" width....marked for length....only got 2 drawer sides....ripped an Ash scrap to 2" width...cut it to match the 18" length of the Pine sides...saved a few cut-offs...mainly for a pair of backs...ripped 1/2" narrower than the sides...length when I find out what that will be..
Rolleyes...reset the saw....resaw the 4 sides, and two backs to 1/2" thick...
Cool

So..now I have all the sides for two skinny drawers...
Winkgrin 

And the "fun" is about to begin, again
Uhoh .....dovetails made, grooves ploughed, dados cut....100% chance of cussing going on
Upset 
Stay tuned
Winkgrin
last of the main drawers are done...
Cool

Cleaned up the sides with 2 hand planes...
Rolleyes

Millers Falls #14, then smooth things out with the Sargent #408...worked on the 2 skinny drawers..

Dovetails for the front ... dados for the backs...grooves for the bottoms were done at the tablesaw.  

Got one into the clamps, test fit showed the back was 1/8" too long..
Upset ..take it back out, trim the end, reinstall, and try the fit,,again..
Rolleyes   

It FITS!
Winkgrin 

Had enough plywood for just this drawer..needed enough for a second drawer
Upset  will have to go out and buy a 2' x 2' handi-panel later today
Rolleyes 

laid out the choices for the edge treatment of the top....
Rolleyes

Round-over, cove, or Ogee? 
Confused Clothes dryer ran me out of the basement.
No ..will wait a while, pick up the plywood, and then build the last drawer, this evening, after the shop has cooled down. 
Cool
Stay tuned.
Winkgrin
leaning towards using the Ogee bit, but not all of it.  Picked up a plywood panel, last night.
Rolleyes  Looked at the 1/4" x 2' x 2' Pine...more "curves than you'd find in Playboy
No  so, bought the 5mm x 2' x 4' Luann, instead....just grabbed the one on top of the stack, even..
Uhoh ($6.54 counting tax)

Seems almost a shame to use for drawer bottoms?   Only need a 14" x 18" piece.....maybe from the bottom right corner in the photo?

GrandBRAT DIVA popped a circuit breaker last night, using the Microwave, without turning off the A/C unit on the same circuit
Upset  popped it back in, but I stayed in the shop.  got the skinny drawer out of the clamps...planed and sanded things smooth...tried another test fit...
No 

Seems the screw and washer in the corner bracket, that attaches the top to the desk, sticks down just far enough to hit the back corner of the drawer
Angry 
Adjusted the back corner of the drawer down a bit, until it cleared....slid the drawer in again...still hitting something?
Confused 

turned out the plywood bottom stuck out too far at the back of the drawer...simple fix,   buzz the excess off
Winkgrin 

Stained, handle installed...had enough fun for the night.
Winkgrin 

Handle is a tad big?   When the face frame gets the same stain as the drawers, will blend things together...First, i need to get the last of the drawers done...then stain the case.   Do the edge treatment on the top, sand and stain it afterwards...then figure out HOW  to add a coat or two of varnish to the desk...once the desk is out of the shop, I can start on the Hutch for it...

stay tuned, might be a busy week......"Busy, busy, busy..."
Winkgrin
(07-22-2019, 09:42 AM)bandit571 Wrote: leaning towards using the Ogee bit, but not all of it.  Picked up a plywood panel, last night.
Rolleyes  Looked at the 1/4" x 2' x 2' Pine...more "curves than you'd find in Playboy
No  so, bought the 5mm x 2' x 4' Luann, instead....just grabbed the one on top of the stack, even..
Uhoh ($6.54 counting tax)

Seems almost a shame to use for drawer bottoms?   Only need a 14" x 18" piece.....maybe from the bottom right corner in the photo?

GrandBRAT DIVA popped a circuit breaker last night, using the Microwave, without turning off the A/C unit on the same circuit
Upset  popped it back in, but I stayed in the shop.  got the skinny drawer out of the clamps...planed and sanded things smooth...tried another test fit...
No 

Seems the screw and washer in the corner bracket, that attaches the top to the desk, sticks down just far enough to hit the back corner of the drawer
Angry 
Adjusted the back corner of the drawer down a bit, until it cleared....slid the drawer in again...still hitting something?
Confused 

turned out the plywood bottom stuck out too far at the back of the drawer...simple fix,   buzz the excess off
Winkgrin 

Stained, handle installed...had enough fun for the night.
Winkgrin 

Handle is a tad big?   When the face frame gets the same stain as the drawers, will blend things together...First, i need to get the last of the drawers done...then stain the case.   Do the edge treatment on the top, sand and stain it afterwards...then figure out HOW  to add a coat or two of varnish to the desk...once the desk is out of the shop, I can start on the Hutch for it...

stay tuned, might be a busy week......"Busy, busy, busy..."
Winkgrin
Thanks for another build a long ... I really enjoy seeing your work
ok, got the last drawer out of the clamps, fitted to the desk....sanded, drilled, stained and handled....then it was the top's turn..
Laugh

Front corner were rounded (vintage sabre saw, as old as me)  

Router was changed to a small roundover bit, and run all the way around the top's edges...then the sanders took over...beltsander, ROS and then this thing
Rolleyes

Sold by sears, was my Dad's...got the top as flat as it was going to be..then, cleaned it up, and got out the stain..
Winkgrin

Later, I got some help, and flipped the desk over, and onto the top of the tablesaw...so I could stain the rest of the desk...
Cool

If'n it be Ash, and showed..it got a brush of stain....while the drawers were stashed out of the way
Rolleyes 

needed to get these off the dryer, before the Boss sees them..
Winkgrin

No better place to stash them. 
Will let this smelly thing sit a while, until I can no longer smell it....
No then see IF I have enough varnish to go around...
Stay tuned
Cool
Not enough varnish left in the can...so...went out and bought a NEW can of Amber Shellac.   Will see how it turns out....
Cool
1st coat is drying right now..
Cool ..waiting a bit, before #2 gets applied....
Rolleyes

Replaced what shellac got used with a DNA refill....so, each coat will be a hair thinner.
Confused ..will see how that goes...
Winkgrin
Let's see...time for a PIP?   2 coats for the base of the desk ( couple of drawers were stuck by dried shellac
Rolleyes ) then 2 people to lif, flip and set the desk safely onto the floor, on it's own 6 feet....rub the top down, clean that off...and 2 coat the top..first coat..
Cool  

Then the second coat was done after Supper..
Winkgrin 

And let it sit overnight....will rub it down later, today, and see IF it needs another coat or two.....then start on building the Hutch the computer will sit in....
Stay tuned
Winkgrin
Now that is a slick looking desk! Any messages with the "story" hidden on it?