Layout tools
I recently got the bug to get some new layout tools.  Particularly a double square and some of those machinist squares. The latter would be for set up on some of my electron burning devices.  I'm not sure I really need these as I already have an ok combo square, some beat up combo squares, some plastic triangles, a t-bevel and a cheap miter square.  I'm just not fully confident in any of these really.  I found some double squares on Rockler for a decent price from iGauging (sp?). One thing I would like to know is if I have the double squares, are the machinist squares necessary? Also, are these from Rockler any good or should I be looking elsewhere? I know a lot of this stuff is put out there to separate woodworkers from their money and I don't really have the time to do a lot of wood work anyway. I'm sure a few new layout tools will make all the difference in the quality of my work. 
Laugh
I bought the Rockler 4" and 6" double squares maybe 15 years ago and have been very happy with them.  Sometime ago I too thought I might upgrade to the Starrett and watched closely eBay and Craig's List but never could turn loose of the $$$.  Square is square (at least in wood working) regardless of the price.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(07-03-2019, 09:02 AM)Bill Holt Wrote: I bought the Rockler 4" and 6" double squares maybe 15 years ago and have been very happy with them.  Sometime ago I too thought I might upgrade to the Starrett and watched closely eBay and Craig's List but never could turn loose of the $$$.  Square is square (at least in wood working) regardless of the price.

I like the idea of Starrett, but I don't have the money for that level of commitment to accurate layouts and machine setups.
I would encourage you to consider a couple of things before you pull out your check book/credit card/gold Soverigns/bit coins:
  • It would be a good thing to learn how to test and (as necessary) correct the accuracy of your layout tools.  They all have the potential to go out of whack; testing and correcting are pretty basic to good usage.  It's not terribly hard to do.  (Google is your friend.  And you may find something archived here if you search.)  
  • If you have a basic set of reference tools, a straight edge, a precision engineer's square, etc. and keep them put away except for proofing a working set of tools, you can always check your tools quickly and easily and have confidence that they are accurate or recognize when they need correction.  Good for your comfort level.  
  • I can't speak for iGauging; I've never used them and can't remember seeing any reviews.  I've bought PEC "blems" (cosmetically blemished) layout tools on Amazon (I think from Taylor Tools) and have found them to always live up to their guaranteed accuracy claims within my test capabilities.  As "blems" the prices are outstanding.  For several tools, I've been unable to find a flaw that makes them a "blem."  PEC makes a lot of layout tools and private labels for a number of their customers - many of whom you have heard of.  
Fair winds and following seas,
Jim Waldron
I have had some iGauging brand tools and I think, threw them away a few years ago. My guess is a step above HF and stay together. I just bought some 4" and 6" double squares (PEC blems) from Harry Epstein at $20 to $24 each. They come in various flavors of graduations so be careful. Admiral posted the notice a week ago or so, this or Woodworking forum. 

The thing is, we are so tuned to a "drafting" device to keep our work true that we forget cutters and holding devices actually provide the means for accuracy. My saws will never cut a square edge. I rely on a shooting board and decent plane to do that.
The double squares are great. You shouldn’t need machinists squares if you have a double square. I have a 6” Lee Valley (made by PEC I think) that I use all the time.

Check Harry Epstein for some good deals on PEC at the moment;

https://www.harryepstein.com/index.php/1...r-usa.html
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
(07-03-2019, 11:35 AM)Bibliophile 13 Wrote: The double squares are great. You shouldn’t need machinists squares if you have a double square. I have a 6” Lee Valley (made by PEC I think) that I use all the time.

Check Harry Epstein for some good deals on PEC at the moment;

https://www.harryepstein.com/index.php/1...r-usa.html

Ordered a 4" and 6".
(07-03-2019, 12:53 PM)stav Wrote: Ordered a 4" and 6".

check your pm if you still want some engineering squares
(07-03-2019, 12:53 PM)stav Wrote: Ordered a 4" and 6".

I like to keep a 4" in my apron, but use a 12" combination square quite a bit. Small Starrett 2" is handy for metalworking, for me.

You really need multiple squares, IMO. Make sure you check them for squareness and adjust appropriately, not only when you get them, but good to do on a regular basis like layout tools. The last thing you want to do is keep repeating un-calibrated tools, well I don't mean to say "you" specific, I really mean it's the last thing *I* want to do.
Big Grin

Alan
Alan
Geometry was the most critical/useful mathematics class I had, and it didn't even teach me mathematics.
I'm hoping that these will give me a little confidence in the squareness of my equipment, etc.