Layout tools
Ordered mine the 29th and pulled them from the box the 5th. Not bad for 6 days and 2 being days off. Tools for leprechauns; they're so tiny.
(07-05-2019, 11:08 PM)TraditionalToolworks Wrote: You really need multiple squares, 

+1

If you can afford it get a couple of squares.  I much prefer the double square and having a couple of them makes layout much faster and generally more accurate.

A couple of years ago I bought a Delve square from Woodpeckers.  It won't replace my double squares but it has been very handy for common layouts.  It does a lot more than a normal square.  Just another item to add to your tool list! 
Big Grin
Big Grin

From Woodpeckers website:

No Measurement Mortise & Tenon Layout. The DelVe Square right triangle is offset in the 3/4” wide base with 1/4” on one side and 3/8” on the other. So in commonly used 3/4” thick stock, tenon cheeks and shoulders are marked with the stroke of a pencil.

Tenon length is quickly marked using the handy holes along the measurement scale. These holes and the 3/8” base offset layout a mortise including a 1/8” rail setback. Mortise and tenon layouts couldn’t be easier or more accurate.
Got my squares today. Agree that they are quite small, but they agree with each other on square, so that is a good start. I plan to compare all of my other squares to these when I can get back in the “shop”.
I think double squares are more than square enough for woodworking and woodworking machines. The side benefit is that you can use them as gauges. I like older Starretts.
Not much difference between older and new Starretts, except for those that were imported for a short period of time: they're the ones that do not have country of origin on them, but other than that, no difference, and as accurate. i ave many Starrett tools, including 4", 6", 12", 24" combo square and 4" & 6" double squares. For my manufacturing plant, workers and QC alike, use Starrett, Brown and Sharp or Mitutoyo.

Now to bellyache a bit, I treated myself to a new 6" Starret combo square earlier this year. Must have been sweating up a storm, for when I picked it up the other day, there were bad rust marks on the stock and the blade, and not the specks easily removed. These will take serious careful work, and there will still be marks left.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
They were convenient so I grabbed one and used it on my deck re-decking project. Not exactly the best for rough carpentry. And....

I discovered why the anti-rust paper surrounded the base of the unit. It rusts almost as fast as painting a gate with spray paint. So grab your favorite deruster and protector before use.
Cool
(07-20-2019, 03:18 PM)Tony Z Wrote: Now to bellyache a bit, I treated myself to a new 6" Starret combo square earlier this year.  Must have been sweating up a storm, for when I picked it up the other day, there were bad rust marks on the stock and the blade, and not the specks easily removed.  These will take serious careful work, and there will still be marks left.

Try some Autosol or a similar metal polish.  Works wonders.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
90% of my layout tools come from....
Rolleyes 

Usually Antique stores, and yard sales...including all but 3 of my squares....

Just saying...
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Agreed. I just recommend the older because they are SOMETIMES available for considerably less money.

I personally don’t care for mitutoyo layout tools. I feel they are more cheaply made. Ditto PEC. I understand why woodworkers choose them. They are much less expensive than Starrett. I find most non-Starrett scales harder to read. Their markings are shallower and more similarly sized. Side by side, I think most people would choose Starrett. Mitutoyo combo squares and double squares are made in Brazil and use plastic knobs where Starrett will have brass.

I’m not convinced any of this matters to most woodworkers, who may not even use the scales to measure. Double squares for woodworkers are just squares with sliding blades. My advice is to choose satin chrome blades if you worry about rust. I think everybody makes them.
(07-20-2019, 07:37 PM)Admiral Wrote: Try some Autosol or a similar metal polish.  Works wonders.
Tormek paste works very well also...but nothing I am aware of will replace metal that has turned to rust..Removing it will leave pits.
Upset ..When I was young, It seemed like if I just "looked" at steel, it would rust..German machinists called it "poison hands"...caused by salty sweat on your skin...Not so bad anymore but I still wipe tools off with an oily rag before putting them away..However, I use a product called "RIG" on my firearms, and have for 40yrs or more..I hate rust!!!!!!!!!!
Upset
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset