New Decking, at Least
FOUND THIS, my old project from a couple years ago!!!! 

I finally finished the wood decking, as in 'painted'. Last year--Covid--I was so sick of the deck I did nothing on it. Besides, Kris decided to turn the whole thing into her garden and had gallons of dirt and massive quantities of vegetation rendering a finish project impossible. 

A few weeks ago, I pitched all the pots over the rails and power washed everything. Washing is a standard spring job anyway so the only difference this year was chasing away Mz Green Thumb and breaking out the mini paint roller, and several cans of Flood CWF-UV (Natural) Penetrating Wood Finish. This is a hybrid acrylic/oil varnish that is water cleanup. I have used it before and it is singularly easy to apply over clean scrubbed cedar. It is also very close to the color of freshly cleaned wet cedar. And, no obnoxious shine. Not this year anyway. Nor, red, nor pumpkin colored finish. 

After 30 years of stressing over wood deck maintenance, the prognosis is that they never look better than this. 

It's all downhill now, and whether finish is applied or not,  the stupid thing will deteriorate for another 10 to 15 years. Hopefully, I am gone to concrete and cinder block before then, watching young know-it-alls learn the hard way, too.

BTW, I am cleaning the decking wood for the front porch and will prefinish it *ON BOTH SIDES* this time.
Heirlooms are self-important fiction so build what you like. Someone may find it useful.
Oh, I did get a new shoulder, last Fall between Covid lockdowns. 

That terror was unfounded. I took Gabapentin for a couple weeks. The killer is PT.
Heirlooms are self-important fiction so build what you like. Someone may find it useful.