Smoke damage
I help build theater sets for a youth theater group.   A couple of weeks ago, 2/3 of the building where we build and store sets and props caught on fire.  5 alarm fire that stopped about a foot from our wall, but we got inundated with smoke and soot.   We're debating what to do with the power equipment - a table saw, miter saw, and small compressor.   I'm fearful that the soot (carbon) got in the motors and pose a fire risk.   Any experience with this type of damage?  I'm thinking, too, that simply replacing will be cost effective with remediation.

[Image: 64222790_2406330609390344_23727350460847...e=5DABE3D2][Image: 64314407_2406330602723678_42804123433235...e=5DA3A5DB]

[Image: 62540559_2406330596057012_73755879382995...e=5DA881F4]
Pictures will not open for me
Don't know, but check the owner's insurance policy to see if it covers smoke damage...
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
This post is based on ONE experience. 2-1/2 years ago I had a smoky fire in my shop; a plastic trashcan and its contents.
The ash settled on metal surfaces, attracted moisture, and rust was the rule of the day. So far, no electrical damage.
Even my Sawstop and its circuitry continues to work correctly.
(07-15-2019, 12:10 PM)Turner52 Wrote: Pictures will not open for me

Yes, I could see them when attached then went MIA when posted.  They showed the extent of the damage and the smoke billowing out.

They had insurance but unfortunately way too little.
I've seen the results of a car in a shop being on fire (not mine) and a shop trash can being on fire (unfortunately mine). Neither one caused water damage but both caused a lot of smoke and soot. Apparently, this is very corrosive because any exposed metal in either fire corroded quickly and excessively. Iron rusted, brass tarnished to black, and aluminum turned to white powder.

The soot itself was very greasy and impossible to clean off of anything not metal.

You are going to have a LOT of cleanup to do!
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
The first I'd do is take the ends off of the motor and use an electric motor cleaner. Keeping the bearings separate, I'd also wash the motor with a brush and liquid soap- rinse with clean water.

I doubt there would be an issue with a fire unless it is thickly coated.
(07-16-2019, 09:13 AM)daddo Wrote: The first I'd do is take the ends off of the motor and use an electric motor cleaner. Keeping the bearings separate, I'd also wash the motor with a brush and liquid soap- rinse with clean water.

I doubt there would be an issue with a fire unless it is thickly coated.

I agree!

Soot and smoke is very corrosive but if the machines are of reasonably good quality they are certainly worth the cleanup effort.
Part timer living on the western coast of Finland. Not a native speaker of English
Thanks for comments.   Board decided last night not to risk it and will just replace the few pieces.   They were not of the highest quality and some were not working all that well, anyway.

It would cost more to repair most that it cost to replace.  Cheap miter saw, $99 compressor, rehabbed contractor table saw, shop vac.   Found a decent table saw on Craig's List, rest will be new.

Health and safety of children and volunteers is very important.
You could have a fire sale.