Electric home wiring question
We are redoing a bathroom in the house and LOML wants her sconces moved up a foot or so, ie beyond the slack in the wire of the currently wired sconces.   The wires to the current sconces come up from the basement.  I am wondering how I PROPERLY raise the sconces as I thought you could not have a junction box inside a wall.  Will I have to rerun new wires so that they are home runs back to the switch?  Any help, as always, is appreciated.  Thanks!!!FPT.
Well the first question is, why does she want them raised?  They're typically where they are because that height has shown to provide the best illumination/shadow compromise.

If she insists, and if your home inspector will allow, there are these devices:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Tyco-Electro.../202204326

To answer your question, you're correct in that you cannot bury a box inside the wall.  But those splices I linked are allowed in some areas, apparently.
(07-16-2019, 08:11 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: Well the first question is, why does she want them raised?  They're typically where they are because that height has shown to provide the best illumination/shadow compromise.

If she insists, and if your home inspector will allow, there are these devices:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Tyco-Electro.../202204326

To answer your question, you're correct in that you cannot bury a box inside the wall.  But those splices I linked are allowed in some areas, apparently.

Thanks Phil.  The reason is that we are going from a pedestal sink to a vanity.  And the second reason is that I don't question requests like this - it is more like, yes Dear
Wink.
The easiest thing to do being you say the wires come up from the basement, if you can get enough slack in the cables going to the sconces then cut a box in downstairs and abandon the old cable and fish new cables up to the new location and tie into junction box. Now the question is will the old boxes get covered by  some mirror or something???
John T.
(07-16-2019, 10:03 PM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: The easiest thing to do being you say the wires come up from the basement, if you can get enough slack in the cables going to the sconces then cut a box in downstairs and abandon the old cable and fish new cables up to the new location and tie into junction box. Now the question is will the old boxes get covered by  some mirror or something???

Thanks JT.  I will yank the old boxes out if I can do this and then repair the sheet rock.
We did a kitchen remodel some years ago and I had licensed electricians do the electrical work. At one point they used a splice (similar to the one linked above) to extend the wire that became buried in the wall. I wasn't subject to inspection and if you are it pays to ask.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(07-16-2019, 08:19 PM)fptahoe Wrote: Thanks Phil.  The reason is that we are going from a pedestal sink to a vanity.  And the second reason is that I don't question requests like this - it is more like, yes Dear
Wink.

Assuming the sconces are above the new vanity, and the vanity has one or more existing receptacles that serve it:

You could reroute the sconce wire(s) into a receptacle box and splice them within.  You may need to replace the receptacle box with a deeper one to increase the box capacity.

Mike
(07-17-2019, 06:25 AM)Ohio Mike Wrote: Assuming the sconces are above the new vanity, and the vanity has one or more existing receptacles that serve it:

You could reroute the sconce wire(s) into a receptacle box and splice them within.  You may need to replace the receptacle box with a deeper one to increase the box capacity.

Mike

+1

Or cut the wire below the height of the vanity and install a junction box accessible from inside the vanity and feed the new lamps from there.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(07-17-2019, 06:35 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: +1

Or cut the wire below the height of the vanity and install a junction box accessible from inside the vanity and feed the new lamps from there.

Yup that's how I would do it. 

Those splices are typically used in mobile homes and modular homes. I have seen them used in prewired SIP panels. I'm not sure what I think  of them as I have little experience with them and mainly do commercial.
Splices need to be in a box.

That is the easiest way to go.