selling woodworking hand tools
I have a large quantity of woodworking hand tools and would be interested in selling some. looking for advice on finding the value of the pieces, selling venues, tips etc...
(07-19-2019, 12:50 PM)Dinosowner Wrote: I have a large quantity of woodworking hand tools and would be interested in selling some. looking for advice on finding the value of the pieces, selling venues, tips etc...

Your location would be a big help. Many of us are happy to help you liquidate tools, but we need to know where you(they) are.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
I'm in NJ.  The tools were my brother in laws, I believe I should first figure out their value though any thoughts on that?  I have planers and clamps mostly.
We also need to know what you have. Planers and clamps are not enough information. Pictures of what you have wil help out.
Fill your heart with compassion, seek the jewel in every soul, share a word of kindness, and remember; the people's what it's about.
Capt. Tony Tarracino

(07-19-2019, 06:55 PM)Dinosowner Wrote: I'm in NJ.  The tools were my brother in laws, I believe I should first figure out their value though any thoughts on that?  I have planers and clamps mostly.

Check the "sold" section on Ebay..It will give you some idea of pricing.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

And search for ‘plane’ not ‘planer’. Two different beasts!

Since it sounds like handtools might not be your specialty and you’re looking to get rid of them, I’d suggest pricing at the low end of the eBay spectrum. Planes are all about condition, which is hard to judge if you haven’t spent a lot of time with them.

Also, make sure you do an advanced search on eBay for SOLD prices. Prices currently on eBay are the for sale prices, stuff doesn’t sell for those prices much!
(07-19-2019, 06:55 PM)Dinosowner Wrote: I'm in NJ.  The tools were my brother in laws, I believe I should first figure out their value though any thoughts on that?  I have planers and clamps mostly.

If your plan is to put in the time to figure out what you have in terms of make and purpose, take pictures, describe and sell them individually, then the "sold" pricing from ebay will give you an idea, but there are variations in manufacturers, of types, dates of manufacture, condition, completeness, utility and possible damage, all of which affect value.

I am also in NJ, and depending on where you are, I might be interested in a bulk sale if you are so inclined.  PM me if interested.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Thanks for the info. Some of these tools are from the twenties so I think I have some research to do before I sell them in bulk  Thanks for all
(07-20-2019, 09:42 AM)Dinosowner Wrote: Thanks for the info. Some of these tools are from the twenties so I think I have some research to do before I sell them in bulk  Thanks for all

You have to decide what your goal is.  Do you want to be done with it, or do you want to become an expert and make as much $ as possible.

Somewhere in between is not very efficient in my opinion.
(07-20-2019, 09:42 AM)Dinosowner Wrote: Thanks for the info. Some of these tools are from the twenties so I think I have some research to do before I sell them in bulk  Thanks for all

Some one tell you they were made in the twenties or you know they were made then??

A lot of us have one or more hand tools from the 1800's so it depends on what you are selling.  Make sure you list the city and state you live in so others can look at them.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.