selling woodworking hand tools
(07-20-2019, 09:42 AM)Dinosowner Wrote: Thanks for the info. Some of these tools are from the twenties so I think I have some research to do before I sell them in bulk  Thanks for all

If Admiral is willing to take a look and give you a bulk-buy price offer, then you will be treated fairly.

If you do not like the offer, you can always decline it.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(07-20-2019, 08:06 PM)iclark Wrote: If Admiral is willing to take a look and give you a bulk-buy price offer, then you will be treated fairly.

If you do not like the offer, you can always decline it.

Need more detail and pictures please.....
Jerry
I’ll second the Admiral fair shake idea. Some of these fairly common hand planes (for example) can be worth under $20 to over $100. This is a big range. Bring in an expert for a bulk deal can work very well, or invest a bunch of time in individual auctions.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
if it sounds to good to be true ... it probably isn't
Actually, in the case of Admiral, it really is good enough to be true. I've done business with him, and he's the real deal. If I were the OP, I'd call him up straight away because it's pretty clear that the OP needs honest, professional help.

dp
A few realities. If you want to sell them all at once or in large groups, you need to price them wholesale, one half or less than ebay sold prices. Most large quantity buyers are resellers. If someone volunteers to help you price them ensure they are knowledgeable, most/all antique dealers are not. Expect to pay or reimburse in trade those who help you.

Condition is everything. A hundred year old plane mint in the box could sell for $500. The exact same plane in good used condition about $250. Paint splattered, cracked or missing handles, bent or broken parts, possibly $25.

Expect haggling on price, its part of the process.

Best of luck

Jim, who has dealt in tools for more than 40 years.
(09-23-2019, 08:36 PM)Maple Leaf Wrote: Actually, in the case of Admiral, it really is good enough to be true. I've done business with him, and he's the real deal. If I were the OP, I'd call him up straight away because it's pretty clear that the OP needs honest, professional help.

dp

Yeah, I wasn't talking about Admiral. I was talking about a no pic large bucket of hundred year ole hand tools from someone's dead uncle/brother in-law etc. First time post, please help, call me, send check, it's in the mail.  No offense to the new guy with the dino tools and new account that isn't approved yet, but I get emails like that all the time. ... I need help, I have some stuff I'm trying hard to practically give away, it's not mine, how much are they worth, ... Spoken like a Nigerian Prince.

At work we call these security test probes. Click on anything and you have to go to a class on the dangers of email.
I have a suggestion. Take a picture of one tool you have and post the picture here. Not for sale, just to see what you have. You'll get several opinions on the value and you'll have a better idea of what you've got.

Also, I've found that 'a lot' is very relative. I thought I had 'a lot' of handplanes, maybe 40 or so, until I went to a midwest tool collectors meeting once and met people who have hundreds. Anyway, good luck on liquidating your tools I think you're getting a lot of good advice on this board.
It’s been over 2 months now since the OP checked in on this thread, so while I could be wrong I suspect at this point y’all are offering selling advice to someone who is not listening.