Lost Art Press offering a freebie
Right here

https://blog.lostartpress.com/
LAP's announcement a couple years back puzzled me. I could not figure how such an eclectic piece of furniture  could be worked into a book, although, it was a fascinating read. 

But, now I understand the economics of all the research he is capable, without outrageous cost.
(07-25-2019, 08:12 AM)Ohio Mike Wrote: Right here

https://blog.lostartpress.com/

Thanks for posting that.  A woodworking youtuber, Rex Krueger, built the Roman workbench, it's actually really cool.  As I get older and even more eat up with arthritis I'm beginning to wonder if I shouldn't try building one, looks like it would save a lot of back pain
"Yes, of course duct tape works in a near-vacuum. Duct tape works anywhere. Duct tape is magic and should be worshiped." Andy Weir (in his book The Martian)
(07-25-2019, 01:26 PM)kdouglaslee Wrote: Thanks for posting that.  A woodworking youtuber, Rex Krueger, built the Roman workbench, it's actually really cool.  As I get older and even more eat up with arthritis I'm beginning to wonder if I shouldn't try building one, looks like it would save a lot of back pain

Only if you can sit in a lawn chair. ... In the shade. ... With a tall cool one in the other hand. ... 
Cool
Thanks!

I had downloaded this just before the Network went down a while at the office.   So I got about 10 pages of reading in before duty called again.   I do find the topic fairly intriguing.

Chris
Chris
Well,   I'm a step closer to thinking about doing one of these things.  I finally patronized The Schwarz this week.   The real book is here now:

Anyone has taken this dive yet, bench-wise?

Chris
Chris
I haven't made the bench, but I did get a chance to check it out at the Lost Art Press storefront once. I was really intrigued. I don't have room for it in my shop, but I was trying to figure out if I could use it as a bench in my entryway (and then have room for one). For smaller projects I could see it working well. Larger panels would be difficult.

Thanks!

Regarding the book, I have finished it already.  I enjoyed the book.  Really the book is enjoyable whether or not one intends to build a bench like this.   The fact that the Indianapolis Museum of Art collection had helped his research was a pleasant surprise, too.

It's interesting that the recent LAP blog posts about all the shop workbenches didn't have a dedicated post for the Roman benches; it sounds like not so many were made and they are not in the main shop area now.

For my own part, for a long time I've been alternating between a cobbled-up 'modern bench' and the bottom (carpeted, beat-up) floor of my basement.  For very long workpieces I have set them on the floor and stopped them against a bench leg or other firm abutment.  I'm not yet convinced I'll be building a Roman bench.  However, very much I am actively thinking about maybe adding some wedge-based workholding features to bench structures I already have.   The book showed a couple nice illustrations on just how powerful the wedge techniques can be.
Chris
"It's interesting that the recent LAP blog posts about all the shop workbenches didn't have a dedicated post for the Roman benches; it sounds like not so many were made and they are not in the main shop area now."

For my own part, for a long time I've been alternating between a cobbled-up 'modern bench' and the bottom (carpeted, beat-up) floor of my basement.  For very long workpieces I have set them on the floor and stopped them against a bench leg or other firm abutment.  I'm not yet convinced I'll be building a Roman bench.  However, very much I am actively thinking about maybe adding some wedge-based workholding features to bench structures I already have.   The book showed a couple nice illustrations on just how powerful the wedge techniques can be.
Yeah – with 8 benches (plus the commercial one Chris beefed up) in there already, there wasn't room, so they're on loan. (And as he said, the Holy Roman is in use in his home as a kitchen table/prep area right now.) FWIW, I miss the low Roman bench – I used it often when I was planing casework. It made a perfect backstop! I also like it for mortising – much easier to get above the work while sitting on it.
(04-24-2020, 01:36 PM)elinourrumming Wrote: "It's interesting that the recent LAP blog posts about all the shop workbenches didn't have a dedicated post for the Roman benches; it sounds like not so many were made and they are not in the main shop area now."

Yeah – with 8 benches (plus the commercial one Chris beefed up) in there already, there wasn't room, so they're on loan. (And as he said, the Holy Roman is in use in his home as a kitchen table/prep area right now.) FWIW, I miss the low Roman bench – I used it often when I was planing casework. It made a perfect backstop! I also like it for mortising – much easier to get above the work while sitting on it.

plus 1 on sitting when chopping mortises, i've been using a mortising stool for 20 years. i think i saw it in making and modifing woodworking tools by jim kingshott.