Loose Electrical Box
I am about to replace a carriage light on the exterior of our brick home.  The box is loose enough that it can be pulled out.  I did some looking on the web, and it seems one solution is to mortar it back into place.  Surely there is a quicker and easier way to tackle this issue.  I was thinking about using some construction adhesive.  Does anyone have any other thoughts on how to handle it?  I will use mortar if need be, but I really hate go get a bag of mortar mix (even a small bag) and deal with all the clean up and disposal of that for such a small job. 

Matt
(07-31-2019, 02:02 PM)matthewstimp Wrote: I am about to replace a carriage light on the exterior of our brick home.  The box is loose enough that it can be pulled out.  I did some looking on the web, and it seems one solution is to mortar it back into place.  Surely there is a quicker and easier way to tackle this issue.  I was thinking about using some construction adhesive.  Does anyone have any other thoughts on how to handle it?  I will use mortar if need be, but I really hate go get a bag of mortar mix (even a small bag) and deal with all the clean up and disposal of that for such a small job. 

Matt

Construction adhesive sounds good,  try not to get it all over the wires or connections.  You may be able to put wedges in place to hold it along with the adhesive until it sets.  Roly
I may get flamed, but what about spray foam in a can. Just make sure you have enough wire in the box. Tape/mask off the brick.
(07-31-2019, 08:37 PM)toolmiser Wrote: I may get flamed, but what about spray foam in a can.  Just make sure you have enough wire in the box.  Tape/mask off the brick.

+1
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(07-31-2019, 08:37 PM)toolmiser Wrote: I may get flamed, but what about spray foam in a can.  Just make sure you have enough wire in the box.  Tape/mask off the brick.

It will work. Foam in a can is what holds replacement windows in brick houses since you really can't get too many screws in as the studs are way inward of the window. 99% of houses here are brick and yeah they are not fun to work on and are a poor building material choice for our climate.
You can get mortar repair material in small quantities:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Quikrete-20-.../100318469

I saw this suggestion, too. 

Might go for this option over the adhesive. 

Matt
Don't the home improvement places carry caulking tubes of concrete/mortar repair material? I might prefer it over foam because of bugs.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
What is behind the box
(07-31-2019, 08:59 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: +1

Me two.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.