Solar Lumber Drier - Part 2
I finished most of the framing today.  I built the end walls first.  I drew them out on the floor and then built them to that full size drawing.  

[Image: -Mwqiq5N9XXhFvjIZ5Z29BHkaBt6RQ5a5ec-x5mQ...06-h566-no]

Then I found that the LP Smartside panels I wanted to use require 16" oc studs.  OK, down came the end walls.  Sure glad I hadn't built the whole thing before I read the fine print on LP Smartside.  

The front and back walls were typical rectangular walls and it all went up pretty quickly.  

[Image: tM0Hq8lzHH6gRz1cv-SXAEC9IC_jhfdlwTQfIGM1...06-h566-no]

The 2 x 10 ridge beam was surprisingly easy to put up there by myself; good planning I guess.  With that in place I cut the bird's mouth on the lower ends of the front wall rafters and the straight 45 deg cuts on the top of them and set them 24" oc and screwed them in place.  The rear wall rafters are set at 30 deg and extend over the back wall about a foot to give some weather protection for the vents.  Just have to add the purlins between the front rafters for the acrylic glazing and then the basic framing will be done.  Oh, and a couple of collar ties, too, to hold the center of the rear wall from wanting to bow out.  

John
Lookin' good, John. I'm interested in this project. Thanks for posting.
Looking good John ..
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Nice.  I'll be following this thread, with interest.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

John, Are your panels facing north in this pic or are you intending to rotate the building after the construction is finished?  
Smile  Just kidding.  That would be the kind of mistake I would make.  Ken
Is the plastic vapor barrier on the bottom of the floor joists going to trap moisture under the plywood?
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Very nice so far.  I like the side entry doors for getting the lumber in and out instead of on the North wall like I've seen some built.
Woodmizer used to market one. The whole front portion raised up.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(08-04-2019, 04:00 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Is the plastic vapor barrier on the bottom of the floor joists going to trap moisture under the plywood?

That's how Wood Magazine shows it should be built.  My thought process suggests this will prevent ground moisture from getting on the floor framing and plywood floor.  Time will tell.  

John
(08-04-2019, 04:34 PM)Duane N Wrote: Very nice so far.  I like the side entry doors for getting the lumber in and out instead of on the North wall like I've seen some built.

If you are fortunate enough to have a tractor, Bobcat, etc. with forks, big double doors on the North side make a lot of sense for loading the kiln with a pre-stickered pallet of wood.  Since I don't I decided to go with the smaller access doors on the end walls.   

John