Do your black pipe clamps slip?
Hi,

I have 5 that work just fine but a while back I needed longer ones so I went to HD and bought some black pipe.  The crank side screws on just fine, but the opposite end tends to slip when I tighten them down.  I will say the new pipe seems smoother than my old ones...maybe there's nothing for the end to grab on to?

If you've encountered this problem, how's you solve it?
Dumber than I appear
Ok, I saw this one on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnkCmEXUQC8

(basically smash a series of indents along the pipe for the "show" part to grab against).  I suppose that'll work but are there any less violent methods out there???
Dumber than I appear
Well.....mine don't slip. Some, most, stick in place and have to rap them lightly to release.
Old pipes. Some black, some galvanized.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

It happens. Rough the pipe up with some coarse sandpaper, or better yet, use the edge of a file to make some scratches across the pipe all up and down it. Shouldn’t take but a few minutes, and the clamps should grip better.

Also, if you have pipe clamps that stick, take out the three rings and make sure the holes through them are smooth. One of mine kept sticking, and I discovered there was a big burr on the inside of one of the rings. A few strokes with a chainsaw file took care of the problem.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Some of my black ones slip, some of the regular ones slip.  Tap with a hammer gives it bite.
What brand of clamps do you have? I have Jorgenson's and they don't slip a bit, half of mine are on galvanized also. With those if they ever start slipping, you can reverse the "clutches".
I wound up with two pair of HF pipe clamps. They slip.

The Pony clamps do not slip.
(08-12-2019, 10:40 PM)K. L McReynolds Wrote: I wound up with two pair of HF pipe clamps. They slip.

The Pony clamps do not slip.

Same here. Only clamps I use are Ponys.
Most of mine are on galvanized pipe which I was told are supposed to slip, but mine never have.
My go to pipe clamps are ones I've used for over 30 years, made in Japan and have hardened teeth that will grip any steel you put in them.
The Pony's have those rings that bind and will slip sometimes.

Remove the rings and sharpen the edges slightly if they wear. You can also turn them around or flip them. You'll see the more rounded edge on one side where they were stamped out- place the sharper edges away from the clamp edge.

I'll use the Pony's for lighter work since they have a less powerful 8 tpi acme thread whereas the japan ones have a 10 tpi acme thread that gives 25% more force and they are ridgid instead of having a flop around head.
Is it possible that some of you guys are tightening the clamps a little more than necessary? Most glue joints don't require a ton of pressure.

Edit to say: I'm not trying to start yet another clamp pressure thread. Most of us have been there already but just throwing the question out there.

Whew! That was close!
Smile