Do your black pipe clamps slip?
(08-13-2019, 03:09 PM)FrankAtl Wrote: Is it possible that some of you guys are tightening the clamps a little more than necessary? Most glue joints don't require a ton of pressure.

Edit to say: I'm not trying to start yet another clamp pressure thread. Most of us have been there already but just throwing the question out there.

Whew! That was close!
Smile

My experience has been that if they're going to slip, they slip at the first hint of pressure.  You don't have to put the gorilla on them.

I have a whole bunch of Pony, probably 3 or 4 that slip pretty regular until I whack them.  I have several of the Rocker BigFoot that have never been a problem.
I have maybe fifteen HF clamps I bought 20 years ago and they have been fine.   I use galvanized pipe and am thankful I bought all the pipe I needed before Home Depot quit threading pipe.   They used to cut and thread for free if you bought 10' pieces.  The best/easiest to use couplers for making up long clamps are the non "taper threaded" type sold for electrical conduit.
Have used galvanized and have had no problems.
(08-13-2019, 03:09 PM)FrankAtl Wrote: Whew! That was close!
Smile

So..............what................a stray clamp went whizzing by your haid??
Winkgrin
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Make sure there is no oily residue on the pipes from manufacturing or the thread cutting?
MKM - Master Kindling Maker
(08-14-2019, 10:25 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: So..............what................a stray clamp went whizzing by your haid??
Winkgrin

Now how'd you know that?!
Smile
(08-11-2019, 04:18 PM)Dumb_Polack Wrote: Hi,

I have 5 that work just fine but a while back I needed longer ones so I went to HD and bought some black pipe.  The crank side screws on just fine, but the opposite end tends to slip when I tighten them down.  I will say the new pipe seems smoother than my old ones...maybe there's nothing for the end to grab on to?

If you've encountered this problem, how's you solve it?

Just thought I'd mention that the prices for black pipe and galvanized used to be a lot different, nowadays not so much.  I only buy the galvanized nowadays.  I haven't had the same problem you're having, don't know if the galvanized pipe is better in this regard, but overall I do like the galvanized better.
"Yes, of course duct tape works in a near-vacuum. Duct tape works anywhere. Duct tape is magic and should be worshiped." Andy Weir (in his book The Martian)
For a couple of decades I've had a bunch of ponies and a bunch of Horrible Fright pipe clamps.  I went to buy several more Pony clamps this year, found out they're no longer available.  I looked around and was going to buy the Bessie pipe clamps, but they are ALL made in China nowadays, so I went to HF.  My new HF pipe clamps seem to be slightly better than my old HF clamps and are about half the price of the Bessies or Dewalts.
"Yes, of course duct tape works in a near-vacuum. Duct tape works anywhere. Duct tape is magic and should be worshiped." Andy Weir (in his book The Martian)
(08-16-2019, 10:41 AM)FrankAtl Wrote: Now how'd you know that?!
Smile

Just a guess.
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Laugh
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020