In praise of the lowly acid brush
Am I the only one who didn't do this before? I've always use acid brushes from HF for glues, some stains and the like and they work okay. But recently I wanted to test a finish and rather than grab a regular brush I used an acid brush I could throw away. WOW. I loved it. It's a natural bristle brush and the finish went on smoothly and there was no problem with too much on the brush. I've now used it for a bunch of picture frames and I don't think I'm ever going back to a 1inch brush. Also cleanup! A couple of tablespoons of whatever and it's clean. I've even trimed it to an an angle when needed with no guilt attached of ruining a "good" brush. So versatile.

Why do nobody tell me this? Why?
Was living the good retired life on the Lake. Now just living retired.
Acid brush or Chip brush?
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

I love acid brushes for glue and some other things, but the bristles tend to easily fall out, which precludes me using them much for finishing.  If I need a smaller, detail brush, I use an artist's brush.  The bristles are much finer and don't fall out as readily.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

I've used acid brushes to work stain (glaze) into corners as a way of "aging" a piece. Also dark wax since the bristles are stiff.

And yes, they do fall out. But not wet finishes so no big thing to pick out the escaped bristles.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Yes we are talking about the acid brush. The metal handle 1/2 wide horse hair brush. I've not had many bristles fall out. I tried to brush them vigorously first to try to lessen that problem.  An unsung hero in the shop.  (I use the chip brushes too but that's another post)
What finish type are you using?   That could make a big difference.
I've used them with water based finish and oil based. Works well for both. Not so good with paint.
I will usually take a pair of scissors and trim the bristles to fit the job better.

Mostly, I hammer the metal ferrel flat to prevent the fibers from coming out, then trim the end to an angled cut and trim off the errant fibers.
(08-14-2019, 08:57 PM)Scoony Wrote: I will usually take a pair of scissors and trim the bristles to fit the job better.

Mostly, I hammer the metal ferrel flat to prevent the fibers from coming out, then trim the end to an angled cut and trim off the errant fibers.

+1
I've used them for years to spread glue on 3/4 wide material. Especially when assembling rail and stile doors.
Keep a small can of water there nearby. When done, drop the brush in the can and then later rinse it out and use it again.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020