Paper loading Performax 16 32
I bought a Performax 16 32 from an auction at the local guild.  No manuals.  

Paper needed to be changed.  Having difficulty attaching paper to the closed end.  Tried YouTube.com, this forum, Google without success.  

I downloaded the "Operating Instructions" from OWWM.  The Operating Instructions provides the following on attaching paper.  

"Install abrasives on the sanding drum as described on the "Sandpaper Attachment" insert."

The OWWM site does not have further instructions.  YouTube offerings discretely do not show paper installation at the closed end.  

After spending considerable time on this effort I now seek assistance.  

In addition to having no room to operate on the closed end, the clip on the closed end is different than the open-end clip.  

According to the manual for the JET version of the sander the drum is shown cut away at the inboard end to provide room to operate.  

any suggestion appreciated.  A copy of the "Sandpaper Attachment" insert may also be helpful of available.  

thx, Tom
Jet makes a special(optional) tool that makes paper changes much easier.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(08-13-2019, 03:42 PM)anwalt Wrote: I bought a Performax 16 32 from an auction at the local guild.  No manuals.  

Paper needed to be changed.  Having difficulty attaching paper to the closed end.  Tried YouTube.com, this forum, Google without success.  

I downloaded the "Operating Instructions" from OWWM.  The Operating Instructions provides the following on attaching paper.  

"Install abrasives on the sanding drum as described on the "Sandpaper Attachment" insert."

The OWWM site does not have further instructions.  YouTube offerings discretely do not show paper installation at the closed end.  

After spending considerable time on this effort I now seek assistance.  

In addition to having no room to operate on the closed end, the clip on the closed end is different than the open-end clip.  

According to the manual for the JET version of the sander the drum is shown cut away at the inboard end to provide room to operate.  

any suggestion appreciated.  A copy of the "Sandpaper Attachment" insert may also be helpful of available.  

thx, Tom

Not sure if this is what you need but here's a link from the HGH Hardware website for the PERFORMAX 22-44 manual in PDF format.  Ought to be similar to the PERFORMAX 16-32

https://www.hghhardware.com/ASSETS/DOCUM...atalog.pdf
The holder on the head side is spring loaded. You need to feed the paper in while holding the clamp close to the drum. When you let it go it will move down and self tighten the paper. I usually have to cut a little off the paper at the motor end. The precut always seem to be a little long. Hope that helps. The first time you do this it can be very frustrating. Once you understand what you are supposed to do it does get easier. I have the manual somewhere. If you do not have what you need by tomorrow, I will try and find it. Could take pictures and post here. Or post here for me to check my pm I usually forget to check and could e-mail them to you. Probably won't check till late tomorrow afternoon. Busy till then.
I felt your pain until I got a Jet #98-0060 Tuftool. Bought from Amazon but a search there comes up empty. If you check other WW supply stores you'll turn one up. It sure takes the frustration out of changing media though it does have a bit of a learning curve.

Good luck,
g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
(08-13-2019, 08:01 PM)shoottmx Wrote: I felt your pain until I got a Jet #98-0060 Tuftool. Bought from Amazon but a search there comes up empty. If you check other WW supply stores you'll turn one up. It sure takes the frustration out of changing media though it does have a bit of a learning curve.

Good luck,
g

Thx for the tool number.  Turns out that tool was hanging on the stand.  It helped somewhat.  

Thx also to Ohio Mike and Tony

Have loaded the paper.  I do not understand why the clip on the closed end is different than the clip on the open end (which is so easy to use).

Pleased to have the machine though

tom
(08-20-2019, 07:48 PM)anwalt Wrote: Thx for the tool number.  Turns out that tool was hanging on the stand.  It helped somewhat.  

Thx also to Ohio Mike and Tony

Have loaded the paper.  I do not understand why the clip on the closed end is different than the clip on the open end (which is so easy to use).

Pleased to have the machine though

tom

I believe the clip on the open end is "fixed" in other words it is designed so that the paper cannot move (tighten / loosen) relative to the drum.

The clip on the closed end (side with the motor) is spring loaded (actually two springs - one to hold the paper and the other to tension the clip).  This allows the paper to be held by the clip - and the clip to maintain tension on the paper relative to the drum. 

When installing the paper, make sure the clip on the motor side has the spring that tensions the clip compressed before you install the paper under the part of the clip that actually holds the paper.  If you don't the paper will only be as tight on the drum as you installed it.  In other words, as the paper tightens on the diameter of the drum, it will get loose on the motor end.

I know this is not explained well, but if you think about how it needs to work you will understand.

At least that is the way it is set-up on my machine - and how I think it was designed.

I have owned mine for a kabillion year (and paid approximately a kabillion dollars for it).  I use it on 99% of the projects I build.
Know Guns. Know Security. Know Freedom - - - No Guns. No Security. No Freedom

Guns are supposed to be dangerous. If yours is not dangerous you need to take it to a gunsmith and have it repaired.
I have the Delta 18x36 and paper is hard to load on it also.  I think that problem is across the board on these machines,
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
Once you get the hang of the "Tuff Tool", loading paper becomes easier each time you do it-it helps to have sufficient light, and make sure the end of the tool goes in the hole of the clamp lever, then clamping/holding paper in place on top of the drum.

I've had my 16-32 so long that Jet is not on the label-excellent machine. I also have a General 25" dual drum machine. Okay machine, over powered, which leads to hogging material, then loading of the paper. Drum sanders are finese machines, not planers, remember that, and the 16-32 will serve you excellently and as well as many times more expensive sanders.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com