Wedgie Sled Question
I’m having a first of its kind issue when using my sled and looking for ideas as to cause / fix. When the piece being cut is against the fence closest to me (between the 2 fences), the cut works just fine. I then move it to the fence farthest away from me (still between the 2 fences) and make the cut. On the second cut, the piece gets shot out just as you would expect in any kickback situation. This is happening consistently.

I even reversed the piece of wood (presenting the opposite side to each fence), wondering if that would make a difference - it didn’t. Open to any ideas on this one, because it has me completely baffled. I’ve used the sled many times before and have never experienced this.

Thanks,
John
I have always put the stick I'm cutting on the front side of either fence so the saw wants to push it into the fence. If you put it on the back side of the fence, you would have to hold it really tight if the blade was even a little bit dull.
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
I agree with the response that you always have to place the work piece "against and in front" of the fence. That means you have to build your wedgie sled to accommodate the width of your widest work piece even when the work piece is "against and in front of" the front fence. I wouldn't ever recommend trying to hold the work piece behind the front fence since the only support is your hands or push stick. Very dangerous.
>
Worse than ignorance is the illusion of knowledge.
>
The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim. - Gustave Le Bon

Thanks all - you’re right and I guess it’s been a while since I used it so forgot to change sides of the fence.
(08-18-2019, 07:52 PM)jcredding Wrote: I’m having a first of its kind issue when using my sled and looking for ideas as to cause / fix.  When the piece being cut is against the fence closest to me (between the 2 fences), the cut works just fine.  I then move it to the fence farthest away from me (still between the 2 fences) and make the cut.  On the second cut, the piece gets shot out just as you would expect in any kickback situation.  This is happening consistently.

I even reversed the piece of wood (presenting the opposite side to each fence), wondering if that would make a difference - it didn’t.  Open to any ideas on this one, because it has me completely baffled.  I’ve used the sled many times before and have never experienced this.

Thanks,
John

That's funny you should post this problem.  I have the same set up as you, except I have the sled on the left side of the blade.  I've cut thousands of segments with no problems.  This past week I started having the same problem as you.  I'm cutting red oak segments.  The segments were getting thrown back against my had or out into the shop.  Looking at the segment, the cut was smooth (using a 96 tooth blade) except for a small 1/8"or smaller nick (dull place on the surface of the otherwise smooth cut) on the segments.  Slowing down the cut helped at the end of the cut.  I couldn't figure it out.  I almost was going to contact Jerry and ask him what was causing this.  He lives nearby and is in the turning club in College Station Texas.
This morning  I woke up, wondering if I had somehow put the blade on backwards.  I'll never know since I've removed the blade since then.  I do know I cut some more segments with the blade for sure correctly installed and had no problem.
Just my thoughts.  Something to think about.
RP
I ended up watching some videos and realized I had the blade fairly low - set up similar to a regular rip cut. When I raised the blade significantly above the piece being cut, it all resolved. I can’t be sure the pieces were hitting the teeth, and don’t know why it would only be one side, but it appears to have resolved itself and the pieces have gone together. Now it’s time for some turning.
(09-21-2019, 09:34 AM)jcredding Wrote: I ended up watching some videos and realized I had the blade fairly low - set up similar to a regular rip cut.  When I raised the blade significantly above the piece being cut, it all resolved.  I can’t be sure the pieces were hitting the teeth, and don’t know why it would only be one side, but it appears to have resolved itself and the pieces have gone together.  Now it’s time for some turning.

How high above the wood is the teeth??  I have the sled someone made for me and hope to get doing this winter.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.