Downdraft Sanding Table
For my next project for the shop am thinking of making a downdraft sanding table. Want to use rubber grommets so work doesn't slide around. Table top dimensions will be approx. 32" x 48". Am thinking of 1" diameter holes in grommets. Does that sound about right? What spacing do you think would work best? Will be hooking it up to my Dust Collector.
(08-22-2019, 04:24 PM)Stamper Wrote: For my next project for the shop am thinking of making a downdraft sanding table. Want to use rubber grommets so work doesn't slide around. Table top dimensions will be approx. 32" x 48". Am thinking of 1" diameter holes in grommets. Does that sound about right? What spacing do you think would work best? Will be hooking it up to my Dust Collector.
I used pegboard (masonite, with 1/4" holes on 1"centers.) I use non-skid carpet backing/drawer liner on top between project and pegboard. It is highly vented.
 I think 1" holes are pretty large and will localize the vacuum suction to the area closest to the hose connection. I also think rubber grommets might mark the finished surface.
Just my $0.02...
I built an extension onto my TS years ago to allow me to use a 52" fence.   I included a down draft sanding table / air cleaner in the extension.

I used an old HVAC furnace blower and a couple of HEPA air filters, and made a grate for the "table".  

I bought an area rug non-skid underlayment that I use quite often on the work benches and the sanding table.  

This unit keeps ALL the dust out of the shop and also will clean the air in five to ten minutes.   Its been a real boon to my woodworking and I never worry about dust from any of the machines.

Clicking on any of the pics will take you to my pics page for the air cleaner.

[Image: TblSawBlowRtrTbl-L.jpg]
[Image: show%202-M.jpg]
[Image: P3030003-L.jpg]
with the vibration those rubber grommets might leave black marks on your workpiece