Delta Replacement Parts Rant
(09-29-2019, 09:09 PM)aquaticjim Wrote: Any of the parts can be reproduced, but at a cost.  Having the metal working machines to reproduce components for the woodworking machine happens often.  However, for the normal guy, investing in an industrial lathe, surface grinder, Bridgeport and so on to make a part for a saw worth $100 does not make good sense.  

Contracting the parts to a machine shop will be cost prohibitive.  Even if you do a group buy, the costs are very high and you will have few takers.

I agree completely on your logic about buying an expensive tool to manufacture an inexpensive item.

I buy tools to do work with them.  The more work I do the more the "cost" per item decreases.

I pretty much have my table saw depreciated to zero - still working on getting the dedicated mortiser cost per hole down below $10.  
Big Grin

A saying I use frequently - "Yeah, it doesn't owe me anything."  If it does owe me something, it is my job to collect what is owed.

I have always wanted a metal lathe.  I bought one at auction more than five years ago.  I'm still trying to discover all of the things I can do with it. 

I am on my second spool of wire for my wire welder.  More than forty years ago I used to do a lot of "stick" welding on the farm.  Now I am trying to learn how to weld with a "wire" welder. 

I enjoy teaching the new folks the tricks on using a table saw.  
Wink

Sometimes I look at a new tool purchase as not particularly an expense I incur for the new tool.  It is more like tuition for my further education - that comes with a free tool.
Know Guns. Know Security. Know Freedom - - - No Guns. No Security. No Freedom

Guns are supposed to be dangerous. If yours is not dangerous you need to take it to a gunsmith and have it repaired.
Just curious. What Delta parts can't be found, that makes your machine unusable?
A friend has Grizz planer moulder. When it was about 3 years old, a gear broke. Grizz had a replacement. Then! How long do you think they will be available?
My 1946 Unisaw and 1951 14" bs have never needed any replacement parts that were not available easily online.
With machines that have had the same basic design since the 30's, there many used parts available.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
What one man can make another man can remake or repair. This holds true for almost everything that is made from either metal or wood.
Plastic and rubber parts are very problematic though.

Anyway there is usuallya way to repair a woodworking machine if there is a will.
Last week I nickel welded a faulty cast iron part for my Langzauner stroke sander. Then filed and sanded with the dremel until I had a good fit against the mating part. Then reamed out the hole for the tapered pin that holds them together.

In the past I have poured my own babbit bearings and hand scraped parts to fit and even rewound an electric motor.
Never give up if the machine is good to start with.
Part timer living on the western coast of Finland. Not a native speaker of English
(08-24-2019, 05:43 PM)ajkoontz Wrote: Sorry, I'm not really going to rant but I did want to vent on how expensive and hard to find Delta replacement parts are getting to be. I'm tuning up a new-to-me jointer and I'm going to have close to a c-note in misc. knobs and whatnot to put things back in order. I was going to order a new cursor for my uni-fence while I was at it, but they are made of unobtainium right now. I think I'm done buying used Delta equipment from here on out. Just had to get that off my chest, but feel free to add to my rant if you are as frustrated as I am.

On a positive note, I will hopefully be able to post about my new byrd head for the jointer by the end of this weekend. I've got the head on but need to tweek the tables and alignment before I post about how much I like it (I know I will based on switching out my planer).
Hey I feel your pain, but nothing lasts forever and companies don't either unfortunately.  Powermatic is basically in the same boat, no more parts for older machines not in production any longer.  So is General International, after they went to manufacturing in Asia, they no longer have any parts support for their fine Canadian made machinery.  It's really sad.  If you need old Delta parts, it is best to advertise at OWWM.ORG for someone who has something ratholed.
Eric
(10-29-2019, 11:42 AM)Eric Commarato Wrote: Hey I feel your pain, but nothing lasts forever and companies don't either unfortunately.  Powermatic is basically in the same boat, no more parts for older machines not in production any longer.  So is General International, after they went to manufacturing in Asia, they no longer have any parts support for their fine Canadian made machinery.  It's really sad.  If you need old Delta parts, it is best to advertise at OWWM.ORG for someone who has something ratholed.

That's a good idea.
If I can't find the part, I make it or modify it.

I've spent less on the 13x40 metal lathe and the mill than most here spent on one table saw- I was patient and I like to deal.

It isn't really about saving money, (Though that is a great option)  but about having fun and learning while I still can.

I spent 3 hrs making a precision 17mm keyed shaft for a sander from 1045 material when I could have bought one for about 45 bucks.  But most of us here also spend weeks making a table we could have bought for less at 'Honest Joes discount furniture barn'.

Why do we do it? Because we like the challenge and because we can. Ain't America great!?
(09-30-2019, 07:10 AM)6270_Productions Wrote: I agree completely on your logic about buying an expensive tool to manufacture an inexpensive item.

I buy tools to do work with them.  The more work I do the more the "cost" per item decreases.

I pretty much have my table saw depreciated to zero - still working on getting the dedicated mortiser cost per hole down below $10.  
Big Grin

A saying I use frequently - "Yeah, it doesn't owe me anything."  If it does owe me something, it is my job to collect what is owed.

I have always wanted a metal lathe.  I bought one at auction more than five years ago.  I'm still trying to discover all of the things I can do with it. 

I am on my second spool of wire for my wire welder.  More than forty years ago I used to do a lot of "stick" welding on the farm.  Now I am trying to learn how to weld with a "wire" welder. 

I enjoy teaching the new folks the tricks on using a table saw.  
Wink

Sometimes I look at a new tool purchase as not particularly an expense I incur for the new tool.  It is more like tuition for my further education - that comes with a free tool.

I get it! My dad was a machinist by training and trade and an expert welder. He insisted I go to college and so never taught me either skill. I've recently bought a metal lathe and am looking forward to learning how to use it. I'm also in the middle of a Continuing Ed welding class to learn something about that skill too. Hopefully the learning never stops!

Doug
(10-29-2019, 02:27 PM)Tapper Wrote: I get it! My dad was a machinist by training and trade and an expert welder. He insisted I go to college and so never taught me either skill. I've recently bought a metal lathe and am looking forward to learning how to use it. I'm also in the middle of a Continuing Ed welding class to learn something about that skill too. Hopefully the learning never stops!

Doug
The availability of parts for machines should be considered when buying older equipment.  We are talking the lower end items here with Delta and Powermatic.  When you start looking at the rare, high end manufactures for the commercial wood working industry such as Tannewitz, the parts are more rare and the price of new will scare you away.

I learned quickly that you are better off paying more for an item that is complete and no parts damaged than a bargain price with missing parts.  Assume the missing or damaged pieces will never be found then see if you really want the piece of iron.
I've had to fabricate a couple of things, even for a "not so old" Delta planer that was made in Taiwan.

The latest part was a king bolt for Delta Rockwell Super 990 RAS.  I didn't actually do the work on the replacement part myself; I found somebody else who could do it.

After four years of fruitless searching online and (including OWWM), I finally connected with a retired guy who has some machining skills, and the mills and lathes to do it.  Best part is that he only lives about 4 miles away, and he loves to do small projects like that king bolt.  I gave him $60 to cover the steel stock, the key-cutting bit he broke while doing it, and some of his time.  Truth be told, he probably would have been happy with a case of Miller Lite and the cost of the bit.

I would love to have the time to sink into learning those skills, but I'm still working full time paying job, caring for an acreage, and have many other skills on the "want to learn" list as well, like welding.  It's too bad there's not more time in the day.

Of course, hours for those emerging interests would be freed up if I pitched the paying job into the dust bin.  Things that make you go, "Hmmmmm..." 
Smirk