Delta Replacement Parts Rant
It's not just machine tools. A friend of mine is trying to find a window lift pump for a '54 Packard.

A lot of older tools are as much orphans as that poor Packard is. <sigh>
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
(08-25-2019, 03:08 PM)jlanciani Wrote: +1. I’d rather have a vintage American machine that I need to find parts for than one of the plethora of imported machines that have been orphaned in the past 10 years (Bridgewood, Steel City, General International, AMT, Reliant, etc...) that I needed parts for. There have even been numerous reports right on this forum of Grizzly machines that are discontinued with no parts available. 

The real issue is that so many people shop for price first; there is no margin for service and support when chasing the bottom dollar. Delta didn’t want to go out of business, they were forced.
I have 2 1939 Uni's and have found others.  The parts for what you need are available might just need to pick up a parts machine to get them is all.  
As for Bandsaws it seems they get tipped over fairly often so while tables might be in shorter supply the rest can be had for a song
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

I'm down to two Delta machines, a 20" bandsaw and a 30C Ras. Not worried about either one, they will probably survive me. If something does break, then you just have to get creative. Either go looking for used parts, they are out there, just may take some time and can be expensive. Or you try and fabricate something yourself.
(08-25-2019, 07:38 PM)SceneryMaker Wrote: It's not just machine tools.  A friend of mine is trying to find a window lift pump for a '54 Packard.

A lot of older tools are as much orphans as that poor Packard is.  <sigh>

RE: Packard Parts- Has your friend tried Max Merritt Auto? The owner is my neighbor, good dude. 

http://www.maxmerrittauto.com/
Max Merritt Auto
235 Terre Haute Street
Franklin, IN 46131

Orders:
800-472-2573
Inquiries:
317-736-6233
Fax:
317-736-6235
I will pass this along. Thank you.
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
20" planer dc580 and dj30 12" jointer and the 5hp cyclone with baldor motor and a 5hp single stage dc. All are lifetime tools so I too am not worried. I stocked up.on blades too. Just sold a unisaw i bought to flip. Took a month to sell it. It was a 100% usa unisaw like brand new. Was also right tilt and no rk - both I am glad i dont have on my ss. I am very fond of left tilt and rk now.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

(08-31-2019, 10:55 PM)BloomingtonMike Wrote: 20" planer dc580 and dj30 12" jointer and the 5hp cyclone with baldor motor and a 5hp single stage dc. All are lifetime tools so I too am not worried. I stocked up.on blades too. Just sold a unisaw i bought to flip. Took a month to sell it. It was a 100% usa  unisaw like brand new. Was also right tilt and no rk - both I am glad i dont have on my ss. I am very fond of left tilt and rk now.

The lifetime tools part is I think part of the reason for the demise of "the real Delta". Eventually your domestic market is going to be saturated and unless there's $$ to be made in selling parts and disposables, how do you stay in business? If your engineering and production standard are high, you're not going to be selling a lot of replacement parts. Exports? Difficult to compete with low labor cost producers.
Seems to me there may be some use in setting up a database perhaps on a web sight dedicated to older woodworking machinery that lists parts from current manufacture machines such as grizzly and jet that are largely similar or much of the older delta stuff that fit or will fit with some modifications.

Duke
(09-03-2019, 07:11 AM)JDuke Wrote: Seems to me there may be some use in setting up a database perhaps on a web sight dedicated to older woodworking machinery that lists parts from current manufacture machines such as grizzly and jet that are largely similar or much of the older delta stuff that fit or will fit with some modifications.

Duke

That sounds like a daunting, if not impossible, task.  Its sometimes hard to know what parts are interchangeable within the same manufacturer as models re revised.  I would bet there is no one individual that would have that information.

Rick
Rick

No one person having the information is no reason for it not getting to one place.

Fix a tool Stickie and everybody that finds a part that will fit such as the guy recently on this forum that found a grizzly part that fit an old delta saw puts everything they know about the two up.

Then 5 years down the road if I am looking for a part and I search the thread or the forum and find that 80% of the parts for the grizzly 1023 fit the older unisaw then I can take an educated chance buying a part and seeing if it will fit, thus adding to the collective knowledge.

As of now, I am sure that some of the folks that have tried parts from other tools, either haven’t posted, or if they have, its not easily found because its not in one place.

Of course it would also be useful to post any parts that one has tried and they have found either don’t fit or would need significant modification to fit so that folks like myself that have a metal lathe and Mill could get an oversized part and machine it down to size.

I have saved myself countless hours and could have saved myself countless more had I known then what I know now.

If I am looking to repair a stove I search all the parameters I can to see what the common problems are, and what has been done both successfully and sometimes as importantly what has been done that is not successful (less likely to get posted, myself included).

I do the same with pretty much everything I start to fix whether its a vehicle AC, a Gate opener, or a lathe.