Makita 3606 stuck in base
A Makita 3606 is mounted in a router table. The motor has gotten stuck so that we had to use a hammer 'carefully' to drive it out of the base. The second time it happened just prying open the split base a little bit allowed the motor to slide free. Now it has happened again. Thoughts on what is causing this and ways to prevent it.

It is being used in a community woodshop where I volunteer so I am made aware when it happens but not on-site at the time.

Thanks, Bill
Aluminum corrosion buildup?
I would cleanup with 100-120 sandpaper and use an electrical grease on the base and motor housing. Just a light coat.

Seems that Bosch? had the same problem.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(08-25-2019, 10:59 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Aluminum corrosion buildup?
I would cleanup with 100-120 sandpaper and use an electrical grease on the base and motor housing. Just a light coat.

Seems that Bosch? had the same problem.

Thanks for the suggestion.

After the first time I did as you suggested but instead of grease I used a spray on dri-lube. No corrosion was evident. After the last time I verified everything slid freely even to the point of advising users to be prepared to catch the motor as it almost dropped out of the base when the locking bolt was loosened.

And now two days later it is stuck again.

Bill
The motor must be getting warm when it runs and possibly expanding the housing(?). I wouldn't use a lube that would attract dust.
You'll probably need to make some type of tool to make it easy to expand the case a little more when it happens. Sounds like a manufacturing problem.
Solution:
We have upgraded the router to a DeWalt 618.

A couple of observations and a thought on what may have been happening.

Observations:
1) The motor housing and base are plastic so no corrosion issues.

2) The motor is not a soft start so it goes from 0 to 30,000 rpm immediately - lots of torque

3) When loosening the base when it got stuck the left half of the split base is what 'popped' when it was pried apart with a wedge. Then the motor would easily slide out of the base.

4) There is a shallow tenon molded into the base which slides into a groove in the motor housing.

Possible Cause:
When the router is turned on the rotational force pushes the motor housing groove against the side of the tenon. When being used as a hand held tool your arms absorb this rotational force. When mounted in the table this rotational force jammed the motor into the base.

This is just conjecture on my part. The router still works but will probably see very limited use.

Bill
I think you found the cause. That might be why that model was discontinued.
(08-25-2019, 10:36 PM)wjt Wrote: A Makita 3606 is mounted in a router table. The motor has gotten stuck so that we had to use a hammer 'carefully' to drive it out of the base. The second time it happened just prying open the split base a little bit allowed the motor to slide free. Now it has happened again. Thoughts on what is causing this and ways to prevent it.

It is being used in a community woodshop where I volunteer so I am made aware when it happens but not on-site at the time.

Thanks, Bill

I have a 3 hp PC router that was stuck in the base. I worked it back and forth and finally came out. There were a few chips  that caused it to bind. I re-did the fence to include a better way to collect the dust and chips to the DC. Possibly you have a similar problem? After the dust collection was done I have not had the motor stick in the base again, about 10 years of use.

mike