Router choices
I am setting my son up with a router table and also hand held. We are going to build the table. I am looking for a recommendation for a plunge router for table that can be adjusted from below. And the a fix/ plunge base kit for hand held
Thanks
Gary
On the combo kit every one has their favorites, and it would pay to actually be able to hold one and see how you like the feel.  I recommend one that's rated at 2 1/4 (+/-) HP, has variable speed, and comes with both 1/4" and 1/2" collets. My choice would be the Milwaukee 5616-24, and if I couldn't get one of those the Bosch 1617 EVS combo (this one is the first choice of many folks). For the router table, did you mean to say "adjusted from below"? Most folks want above the table adjustments.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I'm one of the Bosch 1617 folks Fred refers to. Most combo kits use the plunge base in the table, but the 1617 uses the fixed base in the table, with the possibility of adjusting from above (after reaching under to release the lock). Means one could use the plunge base for handheld, which can serve either plunge or fixed needs, while leaving the fixed base permanently in the table. If necessary, allows for just owning one motor. But...getting two kits gives one more flexibility (and keeping two set-ups through a project). The Bosch edge guide is top-notch as well--really well-made in my opinion.
Another side benefit--the sub base has a 4 screw attachment for Bosch stuff, but when you take the plate off the base is also drilled & tapped in the Porter Cable 3 hole pattern--so any accessory that fits the PC 690 also fits the 1617 with no modifications--lots of stuff made in that pattern.
earl
On the Bosch how do you adjust the fixed base height when in the table. I have an older hitachi m12v plunge in my table. It came with a long depth adjustment extension knob so I took the springs out the just reach under the table and twist the extended knob. On the new version the adjustment knob is right against the body so it is hard to work. Don’t like that. I have look at the Bosch several times just didn’t need any more routers. So thinking now a Bosch fixed in the table if is easy to adjust and the same Bosch in the fix/plunge for hand held and 2 motors
Thanks for the ideas
Gary
(08-31-2019, 06:42 PM)garmar60 Wrote: On the Bosch how do you adjust the fixed base height when in the table. I have an older hitachi m12v plunge in my table. It came with a long depth adjustment extension knob so I took the springs out the just reach under the table and twist the extended knob. On the new version the adjustment knob is right against the body so it is hard to work.  Don’t like that.  I have look at the Bosch several times just didn’t need any more routers.  So thinking now a Bosch fixed in the table if is easy to adjust and the same Bosch in the fix/plunge for hand held and 2 motors
Thanks for the ideas
Gary

I have a Bosch 1617EVS fixed base in my router table.  I drilled the router plate so I can adjust it from above, but rarely do.  Anyway, a handle is included in the fixed and plunge base kit that goes through the table and engages the same threaded rod in the fixed base that you turn for adjusting the depth of cut from below and when using it handheld.  It works fine, I just find it faster to lean over and turn the depth adjustment screw from below.  

The 1617EVS does everything I ask of it.  Very smooth with good speed control regardless of load.  The fixed base has one of the largest openings of any router, which allows you to spin very large diameter crown molding bits, if that's something you might be doing.  

John
(08-31-2019, 06:42 PM)garmar60 Wrote: On the Bosch how do you adjust the fixed base height when in the table. I have an older hitachi m12v plunge in my table. It came with a long depth adjustment extension knob so I took the springs out the just reach under the table and twist the extended knob. On the new version the adjustment knob is right against the body so it is hard to work. Don’t like that. I have look at the Bosch several times just didn’t need any more routers. So thinking now a Bosch fixed in the table if is easy to adjust and the same Bosch in the fix/plunge for hand held and 2 motors
Thanks for the ideas
Gary

I used the Bosch 1617 in my router table prior to getting a Jessem router lift. The adjustment is easily accessible from the top. Just loosen the clamp and insert a hex wrench into a hole in the table that lines up with the adjustment knob extension.

See photo - The arrow points to the shaft that leads to the adjustment knob.

Bill

Attached Files Image(s)

(08-31-2019, 06:42 PM)garmar60 Wrote: On the Bosch how do you adjust the fixed base height when in the table. I have an older hitachi m12v plunge in my table. It came with a long depth adjustment extension knob so I took the springs out the just reach under the table and twist the extended knob. On the new version the adjustment knob is right against the body so it is hard to work. Don’t like that. I have look at the Bosch several times just didn’t need any more routers. So thinking now a Bosch fixed in the table if is easy to adjust and the same Bosch in the fix/plunge for hand held and 2 motors
Thanks for the ideas
Gary

Here is a simple modification that I installed on my Bosch 1617. I replaced the snap ring on the height adjustment rod with a split collar. The weight of the router is supported by that snap ring which can slip. The split collar is much stronger.

A simple, quick and inexpensive upgrade you may consider if you get a Bosch 1617.

Bill

Attached Files Image(s)