Build your own wood lathe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEzoPeqnRRw
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

He did well with the equipment he had at hand.  I found it instructive watching two types of machines I've little or no experience with.  The pace of the process was also instructive.
Thanks for the link
I have a homemade wood lathe that will take 8 foot stock. Ways are two 6" channel irons on edge, face to face with about a one inch space between them. Welded up angle iron legs, saw horse style. About 3 ft. tool rest. Needs a flat belt pulley for the motor and a belt.

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.
(09-09-2019, 05:24 PM)Foggy Wrote: I have a homemade wood lathe that will take 8 foot stock. Ways are two 6" channel irons on edge, face to face with about a one inch space between them. Welded up angle iron legs, saw horse style. About 3 ft. tool rest. Needs a flat belt pulley for the motor and a belt.

I also have a shop made wood lathe from plan from a Tauton publication Lathe and Turning Techniques.
I laminated yellow pine 2x4 's to a planed width of about  9" wide x
3-1/4" thick x about 42" high. This is for the head stock end. Tail stock end is same except for the height which a lot less. There are more laminated pieces too.The two laminated ends are connected with stretchers made from yellow pine and Bubinga laminated top and bottom. I can turn up to 66" . Any reasonable length can be turned with different length stretchers.

Details are on pages 72/74
I bought head stock spindle and tail stock spindles as replacement parts for a Grizzly lathe. I had the lumber on hand . Grizzly parts ran $35.00 total about 20+ years ago. 1-hp motor bought used from a electric motor repair shop. I think I paid $60.00 
Still using this lathe . 
There are other shop made lathes described as well ,with plans too.

mike