How to show off figure in a piece of wood
After a several year hiatus from turning due to medical issues I've started turning again. 

A fellow woodnettter who is not a turner sent me a piece of cherry burl (12.5 L, 3.5 H, 2.5 wide) with beautiful figure in it.  It will take some study of it to determine how best to cut it into blanks. I'm thinking high quality stoppers right now for gifts. Ruth Niles brass 4 o-rings for example. 

To best show the figure would you keep the design simple and let the figure of the wood do the talking? Or go for a more complicated design?
Jim

There is a good chance
Broccoli doesn’t like you either.
if the wood is highly figured, feature the figure, not the design.

(09-11-2019, 10:30 AM)crokett™ Wrote: if the wood is highly figured, feature the figure, not the design.

I second that emotion.
earl
(09-11-2019, 12:46 PM)greenacres2 Wrote: I second that emotion.
earl

Yep, I'm on that train too.  Nice figure = simple design.
Depends on the wood pattern for me . some times you can make a piece too small and lose the WOW factor. make a cut out (a hole) of the pattern you intend to make and lay it on the wood to get an idea.
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
Since not seeing what you are, have you thought about will orientate your blanks on the lathe to maximize both figure and grain of your burl blanks?
Bill

Side one
Jim

There is a good chance

Side two
Jim

There is a good chance

Bottom of piece
Jim

There is a good chance