dust collector level detection
Most of the information on the interwebs for dust collector level detectors copy Oneida's design.  This design uses a diffuse reflection sensor.  I am thinking about using an available emitter-detector pair.  Anyone see why this wouldn't work?
I use the lateral pressure nerve sensor. Never fails, low cost and always works 100%.

I push in the side of the bag with my hand.  
Winkgrin

Just so my answer isn't totally worthless, I can say I toyed with the idea of a weight scale to determain if the bag is getting full.
you don't use a clear bag?  I have a drum, so there is no way to check visually until the chips come up into the clear flex hose above the drum.

There have been a couple of threads about drum level detectors here, but I'm not finding them.
I took a different approach. I have a photoelectric circuit at the top of my chip bin. When the chips fill the bin, they interrupt the circuit (I.E., block the light beam) which triggers the relay that shuts off the cyclone. Simple, works every time.
Hank, you have a two part system, i.e. emitter-detector?

The Banner Qs18vn6d that oneida uses points down, so mounting is easy. Seems like the going price shipped from China is $32, so that's not bad
Just made an offer on one. We'll see if they take it.
I have an Oneida dust sentry, picked up some time back when they had a special or were clearing them out (or something) for $50...which was about 1/2 price at the time.  It's OK, but it starts flashing rapidly somewhat early (the bin being about 2/3s full) and I can'r adjust it any better. That's OK, the bin is a 55 gallon drum and I probably couldn't empty it if it filled to the drop hose. That said, when I was looking into all this, there were several threads I found about guys using garage door sensors that looked across the drop hose and they seemed fairly content with their creation. I think I remember one where the sensors read across the dust bin, but I don't recall how well it worked.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I cut in some clear plastic in my 55 gallon drum.  one down the side and another in the lid.  I just peek in once in a while.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

(09-12-2019, 08:52 AM)EricU Wrote: Hank, you have a two part system, i.e. emitter-detector?

The Banner Qs18vn6d that oneida uses points down, so mounting is easy. Seems like the going price shipped from China is $32, so that's not bad
Just made an offer on one. We'll see if they take it.

Yes, mine is a two-part system. The emitter and detector are mounted across the discharge chute from the cyclone that empties into bin, just above the bin lid; so the beam is only 6" in length.
My hardware is Banner also.
I have an LED in the back of the bin, and a window to see through.  It works: from across the room, if I can see the light, the bin's not full.  An emitter-detector pair should work the same way, with the detector in the role of me.  But you then need to decide on an alarm signal.
(09-12-2019, 10:37 AM)Alan S Wrote: I have an LED in the back of the bin, and a window to see through.  It works: from across the room, if I can see the light, the bin's not full.  An emitter-detector pair should work the same way, with the detector in the role of me.  But you then need to decide on an alarm signal.

My cyclone and dust bin are in a sound damping enclosure, so I can't see the bin. My photo circuit is wired to shut the cyclone off when the bin gets full, so I don't have to monitor it. I just run my machines until the DC shuts off, then I empty the bin.