Manual Stropping - Preferred Substrate
(09-12-2019, 02:06 PM)Scoony Wrote: I got a piece of 1" MDF. Cut off a 2" wide x 14" strip and have been using that with the green stuff. Works fine and is easily replaceable.  

Also use leather belting that was manufactured for the old time mid-century overhead shaft run machinery. Brother got a big roll (new old stock) from an auction that included stuff from a huge patternmakers shop. Some Woodnet members got some from me.

I got some of that belting and I epoxied it to the head of a solid 5 lb stainless steel carvers mallet.  That mallet packs a nice wallop and the leather deadens the blow just enough that it doesn't destroy the wood handles of my chisels.
Peter

My "day job"
I've always used leather (fuzzy side up) glued to a piece of hardwood. It works fine. I used to use it with the green compound from Lee Valley, but recently I've been using the plain leather. I do still have a strop with the compound, which I use when I feel that the edge could use a more aggressive polish. Either way works.

There's probably a measurable difference between different media, but I maintain that using good stropping technique is much more important than using ideal media.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop