Motor Capacitors
TLDR: I need 2 capacitors for my jointer/planer but they're $49 each from Felder. Where do I even start looking for capacitors this size?

So I finally had the chance to tear into the Hammer A3-31 jointer/planer I bought almost 2 years ago. It was in a friends garage until May when we moved into the new house. It wasn't running when I got it, but my friend found a loose wire, reconnected it and it started right up. BUT, it only ran intermittently. He never could figure out why. I got it to start as long as I held the power button; after that it'd shut down. It was also making an awful squealing sound. I'm thinking bearings of course. So I put in a service call to Felder and talked to a tech this morning. Of course it started up and stayed running. 
Rolleyes He gave me some ideas and a couple schematics so I got to it.

I got the planer drive wheel off and took a look inside but had to clean it out first. Then I noticed the capacitors were just sort of sitting there, loose. I think the tech at the school I bought it from was just done with trying to get it to run (he told me his boss just wanted it gone) and forgot to settle everything back - or didn't bother. Long story short, the loose capacitors were rubbing against the drive belt making an awful squealing sound. The belt was cutting into the capacitor body and had already worn through the wire jacketing and into the copper of one of the capacitor wires and was almost through the second.

Felder has the capacitors but they're $49 each and I need both. That seems a tad steep. Even the tech recommended I try elsewhere first. I have no idea how to read the info on the capacitors and I have no idea where to start looking for them anyway. Any suggestions are much appreciated.
Jason

(09-12-2019, 11:21 AM)Jason28 Wrote: Felder has the capacitors but they're $49 each and I need both. That seems a tad steep. Even the tech recommended I try elsewhere first. I have no idea how to read the info on the capacitors and I have no idea where to start looking for them anyway. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

There will be a voltage and a microfarad rating (µF) range on each.  

But you could walk into any motor repair shop and they'll almost certainly have them or their equivalent on the shelf.  Just make a note of where each of the two connect, as a start cap is different from a run cap, and the start cap will have a much larger capacitance than the run capacitor.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(09-12-2019, 12:13 PM)TDKPE Wrote: There will be a voltage and a microfarad rating (µF) range on each.  

But you could walk into any motor repair shop and they'll almost certainly have them or their equivalent on the shelf.  Just make a note of where each of the two connect, as a start cap is different from a run cap, and the start cap will have a much larger capacitance than the run capacitor.

Huh. These capacitors are identical as far as can tell. I don't have a photo hosting site or I'd upload photos of them.
Jason

Maybe someone replaced one or both and didn't know what to use or that it made any difference.  Can you read off the voltage and microfarad numbers?

Oh, and you don't need a photo hosting site for Woodnet any more.  Just upload it/them directly to this site using the New Attachment - Browse . . . button at the bottom-left of the compose screen and follow the directions.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(09-12-2019, 12:37 PM)Jason28 Wrote: Huh. These capacitors are identical as far as can tell. I don't have a photo hosting site or I'd upload photos of them.

The schematic shows them both being the same 40uf however it does not indicate the voltage rating.   
Once you verify the 40 uf value and get the voltage rating off them, you can order from Amazon if you want,  don't look for the cheapest one as it may not have a very long life.   A motor shop can test the capacitors for you.  Roly
https://festoolownersgroup.com/index.php...hp-motor.0
site with schematic about the ninth post down
(09-12-2019, 12:37 PM)Jason28 Wrote: Huh. These capacitors are identical as far as can tell. I don't have a photo hosting site or I'd upload photos of them.

I am no expert but you should have a start and a run capacitor. Write down the numbers and other wording on each capacitor. I have an electric pump supply store that carries different types of capacitors I believe I paid $9.00 each. Buy both, change both at same time.
New capacitors may be a different size, no problem unless the new won't fit in the allowed space. My new capacitors were made in USA and about 1/2 the size of the original Chinese ones. You could take the capacitors with you to an electrical supply store.

mike
(09-12-2019, 02:27 PM)Roly Wrote: The schematic shows them both being the same 40uf however it does not indicate the voltage rating.    

Well that's a new one for me.  Never seen two caps of the same value on a motor like that.  Ever.  
Crazy
Tom

(09-12-2019, 02:25 PM)TDKPE Wrote: Maybe someone replaced one or both and didn't know what to use or that it made any difference.  Can you read off the voltage and microfarad numbers?

Oh, and you don't need a photo hosting site for Woodnet any more.  Just upload it/them directly to this site using the New Attachment - Browse . . . button at the bottom-left of the compose screen and follow the directions.

The Felder tech just told me that on most of their machines the capacitors different sizes, but on this machine they're the same.

Attached Files Image(s)

Jason

I needed a capacitor for my now obsolete Craftsman radial arm saw.  I paid $20.00 for one several years ago from Sears.  The saw is no longer supported.

I found direct replacements (same specs, same size and shape) from Supply House.  It cost me $2.35 each + a modest shipping charge.  Since the shipping charge was the same for one or two capacitors, I ordered two.  It arrived in two days.  Works fine.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Capacitors-19700000

Send the photo to the tech department to help specify the correct unit.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(09-13-2019, 11:02 AM)Cooler Wrote: I needed a capacitor for my now obsolete Craftsman radial arm saw.  I paid $20.00 for one several years ago from Sears.  The saw is no longer supported.

I found direct replacements (same specs, same size and shape) from Supply House.  It cost me $2.35 each + a modest shipping charge.  Since the shipping charge was the same for one or two capacitors, I ordered two.  It arrived in two days.  Works fine.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Capacitors-19700000

Send the photo to the tech department to help specify the correct unit.

Thanks!  I'm waiting on a reply from them. These are proving to be difficult to find.
Jason