Boat builders out there?
Check out Newfound Woodworks here. They are primarily cedar strip/ stitch & glue canoe and kayak suppliers but do have a design for a rowing boat. Super folks to do business with and you can source anything from a complete boat to individual pieces and parts. Their mold forms and strongback kits are outstanding.  Several years ago I built two Georgian Bay strip kayaks designed by Rob Macks at Laughing Loon. Built them from scratch including cutting the forms and building the strongback. If (when) I buld another I'll buy the forms from Newfound, a total no brainer.

Good luck!

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
Interesting observation:

This is a woodworking site.

I'm being discouraged, by some, to...work some wood in an endeavour that I will probably enjoy. Because...it will take a long time. Because it will be expensive.

ANYTHING I build takes forever. It's also expensive because I'm dumb and make mistakes.

I have several tens of thousands of dollars worth of equipment, ranging from a 12" jointer to a PM66. I'll NEVER make enough furniture to justify owning it.

Wink
Semper fi,
Brad

Brad, I for one, highly encourage you to build the boat and give us daily updates and pictures.

You do need to take into consideration...I know NOTHING about building a boat.  I did have 1963 wooden Chris Craft with a 303 hp motor.  Refinishing that boat was a huge undertaking, but I loved it.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Oh, it's gonna happen. I'm trying to figure out now which boat it's gonna be. I joined a boat building forum and have been reading, studying, and asking questions.

Looks fun.
Semper fi,
Brad

I seem to recall Roy Underhill built a boat in one of his episodes.  Might be worth a look.
Don't know if this has been discussed, but combining a non sail skiff with sailed skiff, even with a retracting keel, doesn't perform very well without the mast up. You would find leaving the mast up/keel down while motoring and under way all the time much safer (This increases draft though), since the keels ballast on it's own results in terrible stability against heavier waves and maneuvers. Works ok in dead waters and running slow though. Don't ask how I know.
Cool

Some have reported acceptable success in some boats- others not.

I'm sure they mention this in the designs.
Ah, a resurrected thread from before the pandemic!

So Brad, did you ever build your boat?
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I know this thread is pretty much over and done with but in reading through I saw no one mentioned The Boatbuilding Ring. Rings were fairly common in the beginnings of the Internet on a variety of subjects. Not sure why they went away but this one is still available. Last I looked there were >200 building sites referenced although many are dead links. Anyway, maybe someone will find it interesting.
Was living the good retired life on the Lake. Now just living retired.
Did I hear my name?  Still selling kayak plans but not sailboats. I like to sail but don't have a boat at the moment.

I will second B&B Yacht Designs. The Core Sound 17 or 20 was on my list. Would love to have one but not interested in take on a build. Too many other things going on. Look closely at his designs. They are really good boats and great for a single handing.  That is the reason I sold my Cal 21.  I could single hand it but it wasn't always easy.

One thing you need to look at when considering a sailboat is the cost of the sails.  They are not cheap!!  They can cost as much as a boat. A used sailboat without a set of good sails is usually worth very little.
I have found how much a boat is used is inversely related to how much it weighs.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight kayaks

I missed this thread. Sorry!

No, I never built a boat. I don't have the room to store it in my shop while building other things. I bought a 19' O'Day Mariner and have been working on it and sailing it every now and then.

It's fun and a better choice than building for now.
Semper fi,
Brad