Building a box (or 2)
Was out of things to rehab, anyway ( I thought)
Test drove the #358 mitre box, as I needed it to crosscut a few boards..

Test drive showed it had a case of the wobbles...hmmm, don't need a Webble Saw....removed the saw, flipped the frame over...King bolt was loose, so were the bolts to attach the guides to the swing arm.....torqued all three down, reset the saw..have some lumber to cut..
Rolleyes  

Poplar 1/2" x 6" x 24" "project boards"  from Lowes....

Picked out the "best" one, and cut it into 2 almost equal lengths....checked the ends at the un-cut ends for square..
Raised

Hmm...we have ways....marked one, cut the new line, used that to mark and cut the other half to match..square?
Confused

Then cut two other parts..to about 6" long...to have all 4 sides of a box...
Cool 

Then found some "leftover" plywood from the Desk Project....was about the right width, and was long enough to make two panels..

set all but the longer sides out of the way...set the two long ones together, best side against best side...checked the matching ends, decided to plane the ends a bit 

With the just rehabbed Stanley No. 3, type 11.....seemed to do end grain nicely enough, there was a high spot to smooth out....I can do the other 2 pieces once the box is assembled...

needed to layout some tools..
Rolleyes

Yes, a chisel is used to lay out spacings when I do Finger/Box Joints...
Stay tuned...
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Layout work...I use a chisel to set how wide each finger will be.  I use the sized chisel that will do the chopping out..
Cool

I  work towards the center, marking which finger to chop out...

Trying NOT to wind up with a skinny finger in the middle....a fat one works better for when I cut the lid free..Marking gauge and a combo square to finish the layouts.

Need pencil lines to follow with the "Joinery Saw", and my MK2 Eyeballs...
Rolleyes

Boards are set a bit too high to saw, and tend to vibrate,,,,needed a way to help hold the two boards together, while I move them around as needed...we have ways..

Needed the shop stool...but where is it?
Confused

Hmm, any flat spot in a shop is soon covered?

That's better...I slid the board sandwich down in the vise, until it was about a 1/4" abouve the top of the bench...didn't want to saw into my "pristine" top..

I also sit down while I do the saw cuts
Winkgrin

Feeling sorry for the poor shop stool? 
Confused 

Got one end sawn, flip things over, shoot a bit of end grain again, and lay out the cut lines all around, then back to sitting down on the job...
Rolleyes

Stay tuned
Winkgrin
All saw cuts are done....
Cool

What we have here, is the insides of the box.  Open the two panels like a book..

And these are the outsides, with no markings?    close the "book" or just leave it opened, but flip things over..
Cool 

And see all kinds of markings....Top (T)...Bottom (B)..Inside(IN) and each end has a number to keep track of which corner goes where ( in theory
Rolleyes ) set one aside, and set up a chopping station...with a couple tools, and that scrap of Ash the Rehabbed #3 was tested on..
Cool 

Rowdy Yates Mallet, and the chisel from the layout work....first set of fingers....I chop about 1/2 way down on the good face, leaving a tab for support.
Cool

Then flip the board over and finish the chopping.  I chop from the good face first to avoid blowouts, when I chop from the inside..
Cool  

Then use these fingers to lay out the matches on the end of the Box end...just set the fingers on the end of the board, sharp pencil to mark out the spaces...saw to the waste sides of the lines, leaving as much of each line as I can...then back to the chisel work..

Nice, tight fit...time to dry fit the 2 halves of the joint?
Rolleyes 

Not too hateful?  So...need to do the other three corners the same way...then maybe run a few grooves? 

To house the top and bottom panels.    Then reset the fence, to mill a groove used to split off the lid...needs an inside groove offset from the outside groove.
Winkgrin

Stay tuned....might get something done, today...
Rolleyes
3 hours of shop time..got all 4 corners done
Cool  

Milled a few grooves, too both for the bottom panel..

And, for the lid's panel to sit in.  

There was a "problem", though...those short rods were too short..
Rolleyes

Changed out to the long rods, reset the jig a bit...
Cool

As I needed this inside groove to help split off the lid, once the box is glued up...Plywood panels were cut to fit, after I found out the sizes needed..
Rolleyes 

Then a dry fit...
Cool 

Thinking which panel will look good in the lid...
Confused

Or..
Confused 

I also did a dry fit of the clamps, no glue, yet..
Cool

Looks like I will need a bunch of cauls, and maybe an extra pair of hands.
Rolleyes
have reset the fence on the Stanley 45...so it will be ready when the box comes out of the clamps.   I run a groove around the outside of the box, when done, a knife can then separate the lid from the box...and it will leave a "dust seal". 
Winkgrin

Stay tuned, will try to do a glue up Friday morning...
Cool
Late start...was afternoon before I could spread the glue around, after making enough cauls....still was short-handed...2 cauls + one clamp vs 2 hands..
No

Cussing and a hammer were soon involved in the operation....
Upset 

Will let this set til tomorrow, then clean things up....and maybe split off the top? 
Confused   Have to allow the glue to cure a bit
Winkgrin 

Stay tuned..
Cool
Clamps came off....couple of the cauls were stuck...one whack with a hammer...then set the box in the vise...

Used the Stanley #3 and a sander, to clean up all 4 sides...
Cool

Set up a jig, to do the long sides' groove..

Until it looked like this..
Cool

Shorter ends were done in the vise..
Winkgrin 

Then a marking gauge, then a pocket knife..
Rolleyes  to separate the lid from the box
Winkgrin 

Test fit showed the lip was a bit too thick...lid would not set down on it....reset the Stanley 45...different depth stop, and a cam rest...adjust the fence a tad..
Cool  

Cam rest keeps the plane from tipping....There is a depth stop just ahead of the cutter on the left side of the plane...main depth stop is on the other side, hanging in mid-air.   Now we see how it fits...atfer running the "adjuster" all the way around the box...
Rolleyes

About time to install the hinges, and a latch?  
Confused 

And..maybe some handles?
Cool  

And maybe a finish of some sort?
Stay tuned
Winkgrin
Hmmm, picked up a few brass corners..

Then, this evening, added some hinges..

Visegrips hold a small nail, to act as a pilot hole "drill"...note the screwdrivers?
Confused 

Then a handle on each end...used a small combo square to help center things
Cool  

Then install a latch.  box is in the end vise, because it acts as a 3rd hand, and keeps me from chasing the box all over the bench
Winkgrin Then the brass corners were added to the bottom corners of the box.   A bit of hand sanding along the way, as needed....then a coat of "Gunstock" stain was added, and then wiped down...front view?

Notice the feet?  Back view?
Confused 

And a look at the end..
Cool 

Have a coffee can filled with taps and a few dies....might see about a rack for inside this box?   Or a can of hole saws could use a box....Hmmm...may have to build a few more boxes?  
Rolleyes
Stay tuned..
Winkgrin
Nothing more boring than watching varnish dry..twice
Rolleyes 

Front view, with 2 coats of clear gloss poly..
Cool

Hinge side...and..
Cool

The handle end.  Box is sitting on a couple  1 x1s, to keep it off of the bench....

Coffee can?
Confused 

Dad always seemed to keep a few cans around, to store things...
Rolleyes  

And even threw a few of these in as well ( then never found them...)
Rolleyes

As for the next box?

Already started on it...should be enough there, for one box...
Rolleyes 
Stay tuned
Winkgrin
This one is getting a bit long-winded....will stop here, and stop a new one...something about dovetailed box?  
Cool  

Well..it is a start, anyway...
Rolleyes 

Thanks for looking in...
(09-19-2019, 10:43 AM)bandit571 Wrote: Layout work...I use a chisel to set how wide each finger will be.  I use the sized chisel that will do the chopping out..
Cool

I  work towards the center, marking which finger to chop out...

Trying NOT to wind up with a skinny finger in the middle....a fat one works better for when I cut the lid free..Marking gauge and a combo square to finish the layouts.

Need pencil lines to follow with the "Joinery Saw", and my MK2 Eyeballs...
Rolleyes

Boards are set a bit too high to saw, and tend to vibrate,,,,needed a way to help hold the two boards together, while I move them around as needed...we have ways..

Needed the shop stool...but where is it?
Confused

Hmm, any flat spot in a shop is soon covered?

That's better...I slid the board sandwich down in the vise, until it was about a 1/4" abouve the top of the bench...didn't want to saw into my "pristine" top..

I also sit down while I do the saw cuts
Winkgrin

Feeling sorry for the poor shop stool? 
Confused 

Got one end sawn, flip things over, shoot a bit of end grain again, and lay out the cut lines all around, then back to sitting down on the job...
Rolleyes

Stay tuned
Winkgrin

Thanks for the great build pictograph. Particularly like the ones that show you working wood.

I would love to see that more in our posts, pictures of yourselves/ourselves in action!!
We work to become, not to acquire.