Steam Bending
My next project is a small table and chairs in cherry. I would like to try bending 6/4 stock for the back legs of the chairs.
How well does cherry cooperate with this? Should I expect any color change?
Any and all input will be appreciated as this will be my first attempt at bending.
Thanks in advance.
Smile
I have only done one project using steam bending. It was in white oak, and the wood was green.  It was the back for a windsor chair, and the stock was about 3/4" round.  It took the shape well.

I know I've seen write-ups of projects steam bending much thicker stock.  Green wood chairs like ladder back style have pieces that look like they approach 6/4 in size for the back legs.  The chairs in our dining room look like they were steam bent; but they're oak.  Cherry...I don't know.

Is your cherry already dry?  I think you will have a much greater chance of success if the wood is still green.  If it's green, the lignins (spelling?) in the wood still have much of natural bending ability.  

At the chair making class I went to 12 years ago, we talked about dry versus green for steaming.  I was told that green wood is much better for bending; risk of splitting is greater in dry wood that has been steamed.  Also have much better success with wood that has been split along the grain using a froe rather than a piece with grain that has runout like you'll get with wood that has come from a sawmill.

Just my thoughts; and perhaps worth everything you paid for them.
Try googling.... I got the following that you might find useful...

https://www.finewoodworking.com/forum/bending-cherry-2
Bending works best with green wood that has been rived, then shaped.  My Windsor bow back are about 1" thick, worked well but remember to use a strap.  We have not been successful using kiln dried wood.
Here's a discussion about bending cherry on the Fine Woodworking Forum:
https://www.finewoodworking.com/forum/bending-cherry-2
Thanks for the info and the links folks. I think what I am considering would be described as a slight bend. Being mindful of grain direction I think I will give it a try.
(09-25-2019, 11:50 AM)edgy Wrote: Thanks for the info and the links folks. I think what I am considering would be described as a slight bend. Being mindful of grain direction I think I will give it a try.

Might be better to find a board with the grain in it bent like what you need for the chair legs.  I used that approach for a set of chairs I made 25 years ago.  Still in daily use.  

John
(09-23-2019, 02:06 PM)edgy Wrote: My next project is a small table and chairs in cherry. I would like to try bending 6/4 stock for the back legs of the chairs.
How well does cherry cooperate with this? Should I expect any color change?
Any and all input will be appreciated as this will be my first attempt at bending.
Thanks in advance.
Smile

Never tried bending cherry or any wood thicker than 4/4. I use very hot water and Downy water softener. Make a trough from scrap wood. I nail two pieces  together at right angles, add a rectangular piece to each end to close the ends and keep the V shape from tilting over. You may need to caulk the seams. I don't bother as the trough swells up and usually does not leak to badly. Place the cherry in the trough til the water cools to the touch. Try to bend it against a form. Expect some spring back, might make the form radios smaller than needed to account for spring back.
Save the water and Downy mix , you can use it again if needed. The different woods that I bent did not appear to change color. 
You may be able to find cherry that has a curve to it that fits your needs. 
mike
Another option it to make a form, resaw the wood into strips @ 3/16" and using a slow setting glue, glue it and clamp into the form much the same way the rockers for Maloof style rocking chair rockers are made.
From what I can tell I will need a strap to assist bending.
Would the heavy duty lifting straps like those sold at HF work or does it absolutely need to be metal?