Smoke detectors- school me please
Single story. Two bedrooms, one on either side of a hallway, at the end of the hall

I assume one detector on the hall way

One on the mechanical room

The kitchen and living room are one big room with a beam splitting the ceiling. 

I also assume they need to be hardwired. 

What am I missing?

(09-26-2019, 06:33 PM)goaliedad Wrote: Single story. Two bedrooms, one on either side of a hallway, at the end of the hall

I assume one detector on the hall way

One on the mechanical room

The kitchen and living room are one big room with a beam splitting the ceiling. 

I also assume they need to be hardwired. 

What am I missing?

A detector in each bedroom is normally required, in my area they do not have to be hard wired unless new construction.  CO detectors are also required.   Normally the fire dept have a pamphlet that shows what is required in your area.  Roly
Ohio (at least our county) new construction one in every bedroom, one in the hall outside the bedrooms, one near the electrical panel in the basement.  All must be hardwired and be CO protection as well. 

The irritating thing about detectors when the battery backup is getting low they start beeping in the middle of the night.  

Have had to go take care of my moms more than once in the wee hours of the morning (2 AM) 
Sad
I talk to myself.  There are times I need an expert opinion.
I know you are "supposed to" change the batteries every time you adjust the clocks, but mine are hardwired, so I get by once a year. I wish someone would make a device that would help you locate the beeping sound. We have some other devices that alert you when batteries are dead and it can take a lot of time to locate where they are. (Yes I am getting older-forgetful) When they only beep every five minutes or so it can be tough to locate the culprit. Had that with a CO2 detector that was telling us it was too old. Took a while to figure out what it was.

If a device would aim you in the direction each time it beeped you could find it fairly soon.
(09-26-2019, 09:20 PM)toolmiser Wrote: I know you are "supposed to" change the batteries every time you adjust the clocks, but mine are hardwired, so I get by once a year.  I wish someone would make a device that would  help you locate the beeping sound.  We have some other devices that alert you when batteries are dead and it can take a lot of time to locate where they are.  (Yes I am getting older-forgetful)  When they only beep every five minutes or so it can be tough to locate the culprit.  Had that with a CO2 detector that was telling us it was too old.  Took a while to figure out what it was.

If a device would aim you in the direction each time it beeped you could find it fairly soon.

I have units that flash when they go off and the rest stay constantly on.  As for the units in general they are disposable by design and 
have an expiration date which seems to be unwritten.  Although the CO seems to 

"Most Carbon Monoxide detectors are good for 5-7 years and should be replaced after that time frame. Typically, the units have a tag or date stamp on the back to indicate it's age or expiration date"
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Check you state laws. In Md, all new homes need combination smoke/carbon monoxide detectors, hard wired in every bedroom, every hallway and on every level and they need to have 10 year, non replaceable sealed batteries. For older houses that aren't hard wired, they still need to be in every bedroom and have 10 year sealed batteries. In some counties, all rental properties need to be upgraded to hard wired.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Are there any of the combined smoke/CO that are better than others

I have high ceilings don’t want to climb ladder more than absolutely necessary.

Duke
They need to be installed at least two feet away from walls and corners. Something about air circulation where the walls meet the ceiling makes the detectors more effective a few feet away. It is part of the building code.

None required in the kitchen from what I recall.

Basement and attic need it too. Garage gets a heat detector not a smoke. We have a heat detector over each car spot in the two car garage.

Mike
(09-28-2019, 03:25 PM)mikefm101 Wrote: They need to be installed at least two feet away from walls and corners.  Something about air circulation where the walls meet the ceiling makes the detectors more effective a few feet away.  It is part of the building code.  

None required in the kitchen from what I recall.  

Basement and attic need it too. Garage gets a heat detector not a smoke.  We have a heat detector over each car spot in the two car garage.  

Mike

The only odd requirement for smoke alarms is on vaulted ceilings where they have to be at least 4" from the ceiling peak. They can be installed anywhere on ceilings on walls they have to be within 12" of the ceiling. And for kitchens they have to be placed at least 10' from cooking appliances same rule for locating an HVAC return duct.

The digital CO alarms will show EOL on the readout and stop working when they hit their internal timer. As for smoke alarms I like the small 2" or so diameter ones with the lifetime battery. They are nowhere near as hideous as the old style ceiling warts and when the battery dies you just replace the whole unit.
While convenient, combination CO/smoke detectors aren't optimal.  With CO, they are more effective when placed about knee height to the floor, so the standalones are better.