Very interesting article.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/maga...-builders/
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I could care less about their sex

- as long as they can do the job

- both skills and abilities.
Know Guns. Know Security. Know Freedom - - - No Guns. No Security. No Freedom

Guns are supposed to be dangerous. If yours is not dangerous you need to take it to a gunsmith and have it repaired.
I am probably with most men here on WoodNet, who experienced the "minority owned business" preferential bias. It was a means to eliminate racial and sexist exclusion--in public work--and influenced increased layers of bureaucracy, if not universal business models. It was an experience I am still struggling to moderate in my own list of biases, even though I have been out of the professional field for over ten years. 

It's hard work to do the right thing. And, so easy to discriminate.
(09-28-2019, 09:19 AM)6270_Productions Wrote: I could care less about their sex

- as long as they can do the job

- both skills and abilities.

Ditto that.  The female HVAC tech that did my annual maintenance (to maintain my warranty) was the absolute best, she put the guys to shame and would pick up stuff guys would miss.  Really paid attention to detail and knew her stuff. I was sad to see her leave, she moved to Florida when her husband got a better job.  She won't have any trouble down there keeping busy if they give her a chance.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
The article talks about a "vulnerability that has also led to intimidation and harassment."  However, when Norah Vincent went undercover as a man, she quickly learned that is how men behave.  We intimidate and harass each other, on a regular basis.

I worked as an executive assistant for 9 months, covering for another's medical leave.  I found that I don't fit well in a woman's world either.

There is a woman's world, a man's world and a mixed company world.  Many professions which previously were dominated by one gender or the other have made the transition to a mixed company behavior set.  However, for those professions which still maintain a gender dominance, change will be slow.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
(09-28-2019, 11:17 AM)Cecil Wrote: The article talks about a "vulnerability that has also led to intimidation and harassment."  However, when Norah Vincent went undercover as a man, she quickly learned that is how men behave.  We intimidate and harass each other, on a regular basis.

I worked as an executive assistant for 9 months, covering for another's medical leave.  I found that I don't fit well in a woman's world either.

There is a woman's world, a man's world and a mixed company world.  Many professions which previously were dominated by one gender or the other have made the transition to a mixed company behavior set.  However, for those professions which still maintain a gender dominance, change will be slow.

Boys will be boys - and Girls will be girls.

Who doesn't know recognize believe practice experience that?

Yea, I'm old.
Know Guns. Know Security. Know Freedom - - - No Guns. No Security. No Freedom

Guns are supposed to be dangerous. If yours is not dangerous you need to take it to a gunsmith and have it repaired.
“Every woman I knew fell in love with it,” says Cacace, 32, explaining that the hashtag was inspired by cartoon character Bob the Builder and isn’t about replacing men but simply asking them to make a little room."

Around here, there's no need to "make room", they're desperate for anyone who can pass a drug test and show up to work.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
I know a female contractor. She had 4 or 5 guys working for her.

Her niche was buying foreclosures in BFE, rehabbing them, and selling them to city fudge who wanted a country place..
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

(09-29-2019, 12:00 AM)lincmercguy Wrote: “Every woman I knew fell in love with it,” says Cacace, 32, explaining that the hashtag was inspired by cartoon character Bob the Builder and isn’t about replacing men but simply asking them to make a little room."

Around here, there's no need to "make room", they're desperate for anyone who can pass a drug test and show up to work.

Here they don't do drug tests because the people that will do hard construction work for minimum wage can't pass one so they don't bother testing. No shortage of cheap but crappy labor here but there is a shortage of quality contractors because they won't pay for quality people. Not to mention fewer people want to work out in the heat here as we have been the hottest part of the country for a few weeks now.... Phoenix is much nicer than here....
“Boys will be boys - and Girls will be girls.”

I hate that expression. It’s an excuse to let boys misbehave, and pigeon holes girls to be quiet and wear dresses.

I will always push my daughter to do sports and speak her mind the same as my son. And my son to behave and respect others as my daughter does.

I’m early in this journey, with a 5&6 year old. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen a boy hit another kid or be completely out of control and a parent shrug their shoulders and say “boys will be boys”. I call bull$hit.