15 gauge versus 16 gauge for hardwood floor?
Hi

Next week I start laying 3/4” prefinished oak floors in two bedrooms and a hallway.

I have a flooring nailer but will need to use a regular nail gun for the first few rows and also to secure two stair nosing that I plan to glue and face nail.

I have a 16 gauge gun I planned to use but a lot of articles encourage a 15 gauge nailer instead. I’m not excited about buying a 15 gauge gun as I’m not sure it would be used much ever again but would get one if there was sufficient reason.

Any seriously strong opinions that a 15 gauge would be a far better option than a 16 gauge? Anyone use a 16 gauge for flooring and later regret it?

Thanks for the insight.

Mike
I can't speak for the 15 vs 16 gauge.....however depending on your flooring/finish....you might end up pre-drilling and hand nailing those first couple of rows.  I did.  Test on some scrap first whichever way you go.
(09-28-2019, 01:11 PM)mikefm101 Wrote: Hi

Next week I start laying 3/4” prefinished oak floors in two bedrooms and a hallway.  

I have a flooring nailer but will need to use a regular nail gun for the first few rows and also to secure two stair nosing that I plan to glue and face nail.  

I have a 16 gauge gun I planned to use but a lot of articles encourage a 15 gauge nailer instead.  I’m not excited about buying a 15 gauge gun as I’m not sure it would be used much ever again but would get one if there was sufficient reason.  

Any seriously strong opinions that a 15 gauge would be a far better option than a 16 gauge?   Anyone use a 16 gauge for flooring and later regret it?

Thanks for the insight.  

Mike

Use the 16 gauge nailer you have. I use a 15 gauge Bostich because that's what I have. Not much difference in gauge diameter, only difference that I can see is the 16 gauge is a straight nailer and 15 gauge nailers are angled. 

mike
I used my 16 gauge nailer. Reason? Holes were smaller.
Thanks guys. I’ll stick with the 16 gauge.

I really appreciate the help.

Mike
(09-29-2019, 06:12 AM)mikefm101 Wrote: Thanks guys.  I’ll stick with the 16 gauge.  

I really appreciate the help.  

Mike

The 16 is fine.  I still have mine because I got a deal on a whole bunch of nails. Once I run out of nails I will sell my 16 ga and replace it with a 15ga. 15ga is allot more versatile and an angled nailer is so much easier to use as it isn't always in it's own way.
I hand nail and counter sink as close to the wall as posdible. I also replace my baseboards so they actually do the lion's share of holding down the floor near the edge and it covers the nails on the 1st board. So, you don't need many nails. Then I run a bead of Titebond along the lower edge of the grove of the next piece. It holds tight and very little glue, if any will squeeze out the top. Tap in the board in and use a long finish nail above the tongue at the same angle that a flooring nailer would. I pre drill and counter sink those finish nails. This way, there are no face nails on the starting few rows. Just make sure that first course is dead straight and use spacers between the board and the wall so they don't move when nailing the first few courses. I'll glue the fist three courses and the last couple when I can no longer use the nailer. You can take out the spacers once you get a few courses in. You don't want to leave them in.

I'm using 15lb roofing felt under the flooring so the glue isn't sticking to the subfloor. It's just holding the boards together.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

I would use my 15ga, just because #1, I have one, and #2, the nail has an actual head unlike a 16ga nail. It doesn't really require any more putty to cover the 15 than a 16 does, if very little.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020