Domino mortice on ras
I've heard of horizontal drilling on a Ras.
Wondering if anyone has drilled mortices for dominos on a Ras?
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
(09-30-2019, 07:36 AM)Pirate Wrote: I've heard of horizontal drilling on a Ras.
Wondering if anyone has drilled mortices for dominos on a Ras?

You would need a RAS with a CW rotating arbor and drill chuck.  The only ones I know made like that were some Sears models.  So if you don't have one of those why not just use a plunge router and guide?  

John
Was mainly thinking for the ends of long boards.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
I'm not sure what kind of of bit you would use to do that, doesn't seem like and RAS would have enough RPM for a router bit. Even at that I'm not sure the chuck attachment would handle the lateral loads cutting a mortise.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Ryobi used to make a small RAS that had gears and a 1/4” router collet on the opposite end from blade.

To use it the way your talking you’d have to do some pretty significant jig building to get the work held well.

You could probably make it work but it’s likely to more trouble than it’s worth.

This coming from someone who has built a pantarouter for mortising, owns a bench top Mortiser, had a Leigh FMT, also has the woodtek knockoff of the pantarouter and jumped on a halfway decent deal for a festool domino.

That thing screamed so loud I can’t imagine using it for more than a couple minutes.

All that to say you could probably make it work but it may not be worth the effort.

Duke
(09-30-2019, 12:02 PM)Pirate Wrote: Was mainly thinking for the ends of long boards.

You should build or buy one of my horizontal router mortisers.  It's perfect for that.  Or spend 3 or 4 times as much and buy a Domino. 

You can do it with a shop made jig and plunge router, too, although the working position isn't as convenient.  For a few mortises, however, it's an OK option.   

John
When I was getting started, and I had 1 piece of stationary power equipment, I did some doweling with the RAS.  It worked, but not well.

The pro's:
I could jig it and get repeatability.
It was easy to square to the work and maintain a constant depth.

Con's
The speed was way too fast for wood boring, at least with normal drill bit. A router bit may work, but that may be too slow.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
It might not be ideal, but if you could find a low priced ShopSmith?
S.E. Alabama, formerly from Wisconsin.
That's why I never sold my 10er Shopsmith. Use it for that, as well as 12" disc and occasional lathe work.
(10-02-2019, 09:01 PM)Wizard of Oz Wrote: It might not be ideal, but if you could find a low priced ShopSmith?

Interesting idea.   SS has high enough speed to do routing and a router chuck attachment.    It has two degrees of freedom -- plunge in for the cut in and slide along miter gauge slot for left to right.   I don't know if the miter gauge would be sturdy enough, but a sliding "crosscut table" might do the trick, being able to fit in both miter gauge slots and possibly having stops on both ends to limit travel.  Or even raise and lower the table for the second direction of movement.    All done in "horizontal boring mode."

I'll put that in the idea bag for the future.