How to De-Wally a Dovetail Saw
Some of you may have seen my recent Swap and Sell post for a Medallion Toolworks Dovetail Saw. Here is the original picture I posted:

I have determined that the intersection of the  universe of all people named "Wally" and of all woodworkers looking for a Medallion Toolworks dovetail saw is the null set.  Today, I discovered how to "De-Wally" said saw.  I took a shot with the Tormek and ground down both sides of the spine, as they were both emblazoned with the "Wally" moniker. Here is the result:

As you can see, I lost a bit of the mfg engraving, but it is still clearly legible as a Medallion Toolworks Saw. There are very faint marks where the engraving tool went the deepest and I decided to leave them as they are hardly visible and I wanted to preserve as much of the original mfg engraving as possible.  A little polishing with Autosol and we are good to go.  I have decided that absent any bids, this might become my "learn to sharpen a dovetail saw" saw.  

Wink 
Kind of like modding a tattoo to hide an old girl-friend's name.
Yes, similar, although using a Tormek to get rid of a tattoo would just rub me the wrong way
Smile

(09-30-2019, 12:33 PM)Mike Brady Wrote: Kind of like modding a tattoo to hide an old girl-friend's name.
(09-30-2019, 01:34 PM)Philip1231 Wrote: Yes, similar, although using a Tormek to get rid of a tattoo would just rub me the wrong way
Smile

Ouch!  Good one.
Yes
(09-30-2019, 03:36 PM)Mike Brady Wrote: Ouch!  Good one.
Yes

Ha! You see what I did there
Smile
As the Beaver would say "Golly Wally"
(09-30-2019, 06:35 PM)Woodworm! Wrote: As the Beaver would say "Golly Wally"

Gee Wally, embrace the Wally!
Phillip, I am not sure if you are aware, but there was a limited edition of the Medallion Toolworks Dovetail Saw referred to as the "Wally edition". This has commanded very high prices on eBay. In the four figures! As you are aware, Medallion are no longer with us, and their value goes up and up. Do you think that you could put the Wally back?

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Curiuos question: Does the removal of some brass material affect the balance of the spine in any way?

Simon
Well there goes my retirement plan!

(10-02-2019, 12:27 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Phillip, I am not sure if you are aware, but there was a limited edition of the Medallion Toolworks Dovetail Saw referred to as the "Wally edition". This has commanded very high prices on eBay. In the four figures! As you are aware, Medallion are no longer with us, and their value goes up and up. Do you think that you could put the Wally back?

Regards from Perth

Derek