Scary Sharp vs. Tree Topping
Rob over at Heartwood ( http://www.rpwoodwork.com/blog/2019/09/3...ess-tests/ ) has a link to our deepest darkest fetish, edge sharpness. I always am confronted by everyone's obsession with sharpening to "scary sharp", but "tree topping" puts that edge into the garbage, or; into the wife's razor for the next year. 
Cool
Thanks for the link!

I actually benefited from the link, as it gives some nod to the Fingernail Test, which I have used.

http://knifegrinders.com.au/Manuals/Sharpness_Chart.pdf

Keep 'em coming,
Chris
Chris
She was actually worried when I threw out my disposables and started hunting for blades for my first (Jr. High) DE razor. However, I've pretty much emptied the odd corners holding spares. 

Contrary to the Chart, all double edge blades are not the same. Far from it.
(10-04-2019, 10:43 AM)hbmcc Wrote: Contrary to the Chart, all double edge blades are not the same. Far from it.

No kidding.  Ask the people who have tried Japanese Feather brand blades.  They recommend dulling them against a cork before trying to shave.
(10-05-2019, 09:50 AM)Bruce Haugen Wrote: No kidding.  Ask the people who have tried Japanese Feather brand blades.  They recommend dulling them against a cork before trying to shave.

Those are what I use.  Yellow label. I have been doing 'plastic' surgery on my cheeks for about ten years now. No, I wouldn't suggest dulling. They have their share of scrapers, but do be very careful. Especially, through the first 3 or 4 uses. And, always, always keep the silo doors closed tight. I find that store branded ones made in USA are second best in the sharp arena.
I use Feather blades in a Feather Safety Razor. Great balance and stays sharp a while. Interestingly, the same blade in a 1942 Gillette Super Speed does not hold its edge the same way.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
For knife blades, I use the fingernail test. I really don't use a test on my edge tools. I have my technique down to where I trust I've done a good enough job to make things sharp.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill