The Sharpening of the saw formerly known as the Wally saw
(10-05-2019, 09:27 AM)Mike Brady Wrote: Looking at your filing results, I would suggest that you joint the teeth again, but use a red marker to mark every tooth first.  Get a binocular magnifier like LN sells, and look at the flats.  Where the flats are bigger you will find the adjoining gullet or gullets to be shallower.  You will avoid the "cows and calves" that you have now.  When filing, look at the wings on your filing guide to make sure they are level throughout the filing stroke.  After one filing pass look again at the flats (there will still be some).  Make another light filing pass just where the flats still are showing.  

+1
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
All this talk about a saw vise....reminded me I needed to replace a too short piece of 2 x 6.....with a longer one...
Cool

At least now, I can open the saw vise all the way up....room for the cam's handle, top of vise is about elbow height.

Wentworth No. 1
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Hi Phil,

i've seen worse. Like some other maker, I file all teeth frome the same side and all rip teeth one after the other. That was giving me much better results than changing teeth or changing sides.

To read more about this technique, look Andrew's blog: https://eccentrictoolworks.com/2010/06/1...ams-razor/

This saw I would retooth.

Cheers
Pedder
(10-05-2019, 09:27 AM)Mike Brady Wrote: ... Get a binocular magnifier like LN sells...

That is a good magnifier. I have one. But a BETTER one has a built-in LED light that will shine on the teeth. Vision is everything when sharpening small teeth. 

I have one like this: https://www.amazon.com/Carson-MagniVisor...936&sr=8-9

[Image: 71z-OUTAHzo-L-AC-SL1500.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(10-08-2019, 04:48 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: That is a good magnifier. I have one. But a BETTER one has a built-in LED light that will shine on the teeth. Vision is everything when sharpening small teeth. 

I have one like this: https://www.amazon.com/Carson-MagniVisor...936&sr=8-9

[Image: 71z-OUTAHzo-L-AC-SL1500.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek

That is a nice magnifier Derek.  The light is a good suggestion.

Pedder,  thanks for mentioning filing from one side only.  I think Phillip should learn how to retooth eventually, but the process of correcting the existing teeth as much as possible is valuable learning.  I would recommend he get a full saw of any quality and practice on some larger teeth too.  He should develop an understanding of rake and fleam and be able to clerly see the results.  To me, retoothing is an advanced skill that should be built on more experience.  It also consumes files at a great rate.
No I said "I would retooth the saw". Forgot to write: If Phil send it to me. Its a short saw so short work for me. an hour or so.
Once I've overfiled a teeth in that quantum, the toothing is lost to me.
(That does not mean, you cannot saw with the saw. But I can't correct that filing.)

I second the idea of a hand sow for the training. I think something about 10 tpi is a good saw to start filing.

Cheers
Pedder
Aahh!  Understood now.  I agree.  Only thing I see is that I wouldn't want to touch up any filing that you did!  Kind of like doing your own heart surgery.
Winkgrin
(10-08-2019, 04:35 AM)Pedder Wrote: I file all teeth frome the same side and all rip teeth one after the other. That was giving me much better results than changing teeth or changing sides.

Marv, who I don't see around here much anymore, had suggested that to me several years ago, and after I adopted it my filing became orders of magnitude better, and I've never looked back.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Apologies to all: I have been away from forum monitoring the past few days due to an illness in the family: things are looking good at this point and I will respond to all hopefully in a day or so. Thanks!
Mike: thanks for the excellent advice. I have decided that I am all in on this sharpening thing: I have a Gramercy vise on its way to me. I am determined to get the hang of this, and if a DT is the toughest challenge, then thats where I want to start! Phil

(10-05-2019, 09:27 AM)Mike Brady Wrote: Hi Phillip.  I use a saw vise made the same as yours, except that I chamfered the long edges to get those jaws out of the way of your filing strokes.  The big iron monster vise is cool but your saw doesn't get any sharper using one.  As a matter of fact, Daryl Weir used a longer wooden vise he made, very much like yours, and sits down to use it.

Looking at your filing results, I would suggest that you joint the teeth again, but use a red marker to mark every tooth first.  Get a binocular magnifier like LN sells, and look at the flats.  Where the flats are bigger you will find the adjoining gullet or gullets to be shallower.  You will avoid the "cows and calves" that you have now.  When filing, look at the wings on your filing guide to make sure they are level throughout the filing stroke.  After one filing pass look again at the flats (there will still be some).  Make another light filing pass just where the flats still are showing.  

Starting with a dovetail saw was a little ambitious.  The best place to start would be with something like a 6 point full-sise rip saw so you can really see the resulting shape of your newly filed teeth.  You have the skills needed to sharpen that dovetail saw, with just some more practice.  You will also get a feel for when your file is getting dull... which is surprisingly Quick!

Good luck!