Seeking advice on Emmert install
After long last, I've built a bench to mount my vintage Emmert on.   After a lot of work, I got the bench side installed into the mortises and the tilting lever in place.   After doing research, many recommended that i unscrew the front half to reduce the weight of the thing for the install.  I did this.

Now everything is in place but I'm having trouble getting it threaded back together.    I've rotated the threads counter-clockwise until the male threads click down into the female part.   But I get a lot of resistance after about 1/2 turn clockwise.   This happens after multiple attempts and ensuring the shaft is square with the back vise face.   After all the time and expense, I don't want to ruin things by cross-threading and cracking a casting.  These are Acme threads so the chance of being off a full pitch seems unlikely.  I am wondering if this is by design -- so when using I extend the vise out to its full extension, there is a lot of resistance so I know to stop before the front half falls on my toes.

Does anyone have a working Emmert to confirm my theory -- when you extend the vise to full opening is it much harder at the very end?  Should I just really tighten the first few turns on the way back in?
(10-03-2019, 12:05 PM)bhh Wrote: After long last, I've built a bench to mount my vintage Emmert on.   After a lot of work, I got the bench side installed into the mortises and the tilting lever in place.   After doing research, many recommended that i unscrew the front half to reduce the weight of the thing for the install.  I did this.

Now everything is in place but I'm having trouble getting it threaded back together.    I've rotated the threads counter-clockwise until the male threads click down into the female part.   But I get a lot of resistance after about 1/2 turn clockwise.   This happens after multiple attempts and ensuring the shaft is square with the back vise face.   After all the time and expense, I don't want to ruin things by cross-threading and cracking a casting.  These are Acme threads so the chance of being off a full pitch seems unlikely.  I am wondering if this is by design -- so when using I extend the vise out to its full extension, there is a lot of resistance so I know to stop before the front half falls on my toes.

Does anyone have a working Emmert to confirm my theory -- when you extend the vise to full opening is it much harder at the very end?  Should I just really tighten the first few turns on the way back in?
I believe the end of the threaded shaft has seen very little use and consequently less wear than the other end...I would expect there to be more resistance in starting the threads...I can't judge exactly how MUCH resistance you are encountering but I doubt you could be doing anything wrong....I would examine the threads on the starting end to make sure you haven't damaged them in some way and if in good condition, gradually increase the starting effort a little at a time......and make sure the shaft is level and in line with the female threads....

One other thing just occurred to me, you could "taper" the starting thread with a small file on all three sides.. {acme thread} to make sure it hasn't been damaged. It makes "starting" much easier.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Unscrew the part at the very rear of the bench mounted assembly (2 screws). This is a circular casting into which the main screw threads.

Try it on the main screw while disassembled from the rear assembly, and see if you experience the same interference.

Proceed from there.
Will try but probably won't be until late Sunday
(10-03-2019, 03:25 PM)Joe Bailey Wrote: Unscrew the part at the very rear of the bench mounted assembly (2 screws). This is a circular casting into which the main screw threads.

Try it on the main screw while disassembled from the rear assembly, and see if you experience the same interference.

Proceed from there.

That was the problem.   The alignment with rear casting needs to be dead-nuts on.  It guides and supports the square post that encloses the threads.  Unfortunately, it hits at exactly the same time the threads start to engage or it would have been more obvious.   All the jiggling did not get one started then the other.  Remove the rear collar, thread it in, re-install the rear collar.   Thanks!