I am totally embarrassed
Just finished cutting all my grooves in 3/4" plywood for my table sled and I'm thinking why would a company have a plan for a sled that is so floppy. I think,the metal bars must stiffen it up.  Well, let's check the instructions just to be sure.  11/32's deep grooves. Yep that's what I got.  !/32 past 5/8 is 11/32, wait a minute that doesn't sound right. No' no, i.d.i.o.t. 1/32 past 5/16 is 11/32.  It's a good d**n thing I can laugh at myself, and that I have enough plywood to redo it.
Jim

There is a good chance
Broccoli doesn’t like you either.
I, of course, have never done such a thing (
Rolleyes ).....but I'll laugh with you (all the while wishing we were metric).
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Sometimes I see the value of metric.
Metric is super easy to learn and do in your head. Why this country is too stuborn to convert I will never understand, Yes it would cost money to do, but would not need to be done in1 big step. It could be fased in. A large part of our manufacturing system is forced to do metric in order to sell on the world market. Really frustrating to me is when I am working on something and a socket will not fit correctly. Always in a spot that is impossible to see. Rust, dinged up or metric. Probably 1 of the 3, but which one?
Yes, metric is usually easier to work with, but not always.

I can for instance tell my woodworking buddy to set his combination square or marking gauge to 1/64", and he'd have no issues compiling with that using an etched rule. Now try 1.5875mm.

Simon
I am an in-betweener on metric, which may be the worst possible way to go, but I am sticking with it. When I plan, I use imperial. But when I have to do something like find the center of an almost but not quite fractional length of wood, or calculate multiple offsets, I often grab my metric tape.
Math is tough. Let's go shopping!
I read very good arguments *against* metric. I just can't remember the source. Or where I hid my copy....

However, for years I worked in both tenths of a foot/inch and fractions. I had to use an Add Feet Jr. for fractions, and any calculator worked for tenths. I still use the AFJr.. I never learned how artichokes did it in Autocad, even though I used the same software and happily punched three decimals out. 

(Before you gurus start correcting me, I followed the same stripped down philosophy keyboarders followed. We generally arrested development in V. 12. And, I was nearly as fast as any drafter creating chaos in the "advancements" following 12.)
Your predicament is exactly why I have a wood burning stove! My "oopsies" keep me warm.
Jim

Demonstrating every day that enthusiasm cannot overcome a lack of talent!
(10-11-2019, 04:59 AM)5thumbs Wrote: Your predicament is exactly why I have a wood burning stove! My "oopsies" keep me warm.

This oopsie will become a storage rack for sanding disks. Already have 1/4 slots for shelves cut. Just need a top and bottom and will have two disk racks. But like you other oopsies and scraps end up in the wood burner.
Jim

There is a good chance
Broccoli doesn’t like you either.
(10-10-2019, 02:14 PM)Turner52 Wrote: Metric is super easy to learn and do in your head. Why this country is too stuborn to convert I will never understand, Yes it would cost money to do, but would not need to be done in1 big step. It could be fased in. A large part of our manufacturing system is forced to do metric in order to sell on the world market. Really frustrating to me is when I am working on something and a socket will not fit correctly. Always in a spot that is impossible to see. Rust, dinged up or metric. Probably 1 of the 3, but which one?

Its slowly getting there - however the cost to FORCE the issue would be huge. You want to pay higher taxes just to change EVERY road sign and mile mark IN THE COUNTRY? That would just be the tip of the iceberg - its all about $$$$ and who gets the bill.