Any Usage examples of Spear Miter Joints or Rising Dovetail Joints ?
Greetings,

I had a fun breakfast with Mike from this forum the other day.  One topic I brought up was some special joints not often seen.  I am brainstorming on how to use one of the following in a project.  The technical challenge may be fun.   I would probably want to make the usage of such joints pretty sparse; they might be overwhelming if done too many places.

Has anyone played with either of these?

Chris
Chris
Ahh----no.  I'm not nearly smart enough.  Did I see a mallet handle attached to head with that dovetail joint?  Maybe Roy Underhill / the impossible joint?
(10-14-2019, 11:57 AM)C. in Indy Wrote: Greetings,

I had a fun breakfast with Mike from this forum the other day.  One topic I brought up was some special joints not often seen.  I am brainstorming on how to use one of the following in a project.  The technical challenge may be fun.   I would probably want to make the usage of such joints pretty sparse; they might be overwhelming if done too many places.

Has anyone played with either of these?

Chris

Chris,
The spear miter joint is common in 18th century furniture, used in small drawer dividers in spice boxes and desks.

First time I have heard it called that though.

As re: rising dovetail, I have only seen it used by Roy Underhill for a mallet.

Mike
Semper Audere!
(10-14-2019, 12:25 PM)mbholden Wrote: Chris,
The spear miter joint is common in 18th century furniture, used in small drawer dividers in spice boxes and desks.

First time I have heard it called that though.

As re: rising dovetail, I have only seen it used by Roy Underhill for a mallet.

Mike
The double mitre joint is seen in much Antique Chinese furniture.

The huge advantage of this joint is that mouldings or scratch beads will run seamlessly round right angle corners.  No need for Mason's mitres.

I semi copied a Chinese sideboard, to make a large fireside stool in English Walnut.  There were 18 of these joints.

David Charlesworth